Escaping the City

I checked the time on my computer screen 2:27 pm it says. I leaned back on my chair and let out a deep breath. It was only Tuesday but I already feel exhausted from work, well I have been exhausted the last couple years from work anyways.

It's been 3 years since I started to work at Joja Corp. and day by day I just feel like I'm only dragging myself into this job. It wasn't really bad at first, especially if you are someone who needed a job and money. Other than that? Well... from the monotonous job, being overworked and the once in a blue moon interactions with my colleagues there's nothing exciting or interesting  in this job. This place actually feels like hell.

Looking over at the family picture in my table I suddenly miss my family, Mom, Dad and there's Grandpa too. He used to live with us when he got too old living alone. He taught me how to plant vegetables and flowers in our little garden before, and he would tell me stories about his animals and his old farm. I learned a lot and really enjoyed those moments with him.

Then I remember his letter, I brought it to work when I started feeling worn out with my job. He gave it to me when I was younger but didn't let me read it then, he said something about my bright spirit fading and a growing emptiness and when that happens I'll be ready to open it. Being young and carefree I didn't understand it then, but now I  do and I'm ready. I looked for it in one of my drawers and read what he wrote.

"My dear,

If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change.The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.........”

After work I walked around the city, I couldn't stop thinking about the letter especially the lines "It's the perfect place to start your new life".He was giving me his old farm, the farm that he talked about before with so much pride and joy. I feel thrilled and scared at the same time? I know a thing or two about planting... but a whole farm? And I'll be doing it alone in a town I've never been and know no one? Grandpa did all of it before on his own, but can I? As I'm walking I looked around me, it is late at night but it's still bright from city lights and the noise from cars passing by. Even the people walking around is making the place lively. Am I really ready to leave this place behind? As I was contemplating about it, my thoughts went back to reality when I bump my shoulder to someone.

"I'm sorry I wasn't looking, I was lost in my thoughts" I quickly apologize as I turned around to the guy in a dark hoodie. He just slightly turned his head on the side without even looking at me and continued walking putting his hands in his pocket. I continued on my way too and decided to call my dad.

~*~
My parents were supportive after I told them everything and I resigned after a few days. I also wrote to Lewis who was the mayor of the town, letting him know that I'll be moving into my Grandpa's farm. He said he was excited and will ready the cabin for me. He would also inform the whole town about me, which isn't much really in terms of population so he said there's nothing to worry about. Yet here I am on a bus feeling anxious as I see a big sign saying 'Stardew Valley 0.5m'.