Chapter 4 - Part 1

Tracy

Tracy

The first sign something was amiss was when I pulled my luggage to a stop just outside the entrance of the country club and my brother wasn't waiting for me. I checked my watch to make sure I was on time and I was on time. That was strange.

A car pulled up and Mark got out the drivers side. It was some fancy car but I couldn't tell you what make or model it was but you could tell it was sleek and expensive. I sometimes wondered how lucrative his career choice was.

"I'll be taking you home," he said taking my luggage before I even realise what he was doing.

I shook my head and tried to reach for my bag to stop him but he already had to safely tucked into the trunk of his car.

"But Matthew was supposed to give me a ride back home," I said, refusing to get into his car as he held the passenger door open for me.

"He had to leave earlier than expected. I told him I would make sure you got home." He inclined his head to the empty passenger seat.

Was that true? I studied him trying to figure out if he was lying. He had been trying to corner me for most of the weekend and I had up to this point been able to side step him. It was too convenient that I would have to spend the next couple of hours cooped up in car with him. I began to suspect he had orchestrated this.

I hesitated, knowing being in his company for any amount of time would be dangerous but I had no choice. It was too far to get a taxi and I hadn't brought my car. My stubborn streak surfaced and I contemplated checking with my parents or Sophie if they were still here but I knew it would look weird if I refused to take a lift from Mark.

He watched me patiently as I battled internally.

I sighed when I gave in and got into the passenger seat. The door closed and I busied myself with putting my seatbelt on but my hands fumbled nervously. Get it together. I hated that the entire car smelled just like him so I tried to concentrate on anything but the man who seated himself in the seat beside me.

The car purred as he started it up and I held my bag on my lap unable to feel comfortable in his company. My heart was beating erratically and I chewed my lip while I looked straight ahead refusing to look in his direction.

"Your parents really enjoyed this weekend," he said, making an attempt at a conversation a few minutes after we started the long journey back to the city.

"They did." I kept my answer short without much encouragement. I didn't have much choice about taking the ride from him but I wasn't going to pulled into talking to him.

He had an ulterior motive and I wasn't going to play along with whatever he was trying to do. Out of the corner of my eye I could see glance in my direction but I continued to watch as his car ate up the miles to our destination.

"You're not very talkative today, are you?" He posed the next question and I frowned.

"I don't take well to being manipulated." I was too irritated to play nice and I wasn't going to pretend I was oblivious to what he was doing.