Prologue

Disclaimer:
This story is fictional, none of these events happened in real life and some of the facts (e.g. salaries, stores, shops, streets, etc.) are not necessarily nonfictional. And the story is Au, alternative universe, meaning anyone that is not part of the fandom can read this fanfic.

Lastly, this is cowritten by two authors that write a little different from each other but we're sure as hell that we will be able to blend our ideas for the story for it to be exciting and a rom com novel.

This is PG-13, meaning to say that there may be profanities, language and themes that are not appropriate for people beyond the age of 13.

All rights reserved © eccentricharry 2014

Piper King, too engrossed and too absorbed in all her stupor to ever recognize the very guy stood about four feet away from her, always watching her do all the work she does for a living.

She had just managed to handle an onslaught of families, chucking random items at her simultaneously and yelling at her to hurry up. Despite all the bravado she possessed, she still managed to put on a smile regardless of the innumerable tasks she was to finish.

That, apparently, was her job as a cashier in 7-Eleven. Even though all she had to do was handle the cashier and the abundant items bought by the customers, she found her job utterly tedious and aggravating, but she did it anyway.

When most of her classmates would've spent their summer breaks in luxurious hotels, indulging uncountable drinks, in pubs and clubs and in beach houses that can probably cost twice as much as her house, she was working to be able to pay off her monthly rent for a flat that barely had half the surface area of her parents' house, to pay off the overdue bills that accumulated on her counter table and to pay her tuition that costs her about hundreds of pounds.

She managed to live a disciplined life when she could always live under her parents' house. She moved out, voluntarily, without the persistence of her parents. Her parents, however, were gainsaying for her to stay and to just move out once she finished high school. But, she insisted.

Her mum gave her a bank account filled with two thousand pounds, in case she hadn't found a high paying job. Although Piper as frugal and provident as she was, she had not touched the money her mum insisted for her to use. Instead, she worked her arse off at 7-Eleven who pays her twenty pounds a day.

Piper taps her fingers on the cash register casually and nonchalantly, waiting for another Londoner to pester her. She finally felt the itching stare of the guy leaning against the wall. As a result, she looked up and met his icy gaze. He stood tall, gilded and confidence oozing from him. A thick coat draped around him, clad in black skinny jeans and brown boots that were too worn-out.

"Well?" She asks impatiently to the guy with the thick coat and icy gaze. "Do you need anything, Sir?"

Piper was taught to have patience, especially when dealing with a couple of exasperating blokes that tend to pester her with abundant of risqué remarks and offers that she declined several times. Although, she never really followed the things taught to her. She always lost patience, always did.

"Uh, nothing," He grins. "Was just looking around and stuff. Where are you from?"

"What?" She asks curtly, "So you can offer one of those one night stands? No thanks. Control your own testosterone and leave."

He chuckles and shakes his head, "I'm just a polite bloke making a conversation, love,"

"Then why were you staring at me that long?"

"Who says I was staring at you? You aren't the only person in this store, love." He says as he runs his long hands on his tousled hair.

"Stop calling me love."

"What do you want me to call you, then?" He asks.

"Piper."

He smiles, a dimple carves on his cheek, "I think Pip fits you better."

"I prefer Piper, though, no one calls me Pip." She says, knowing that the only person who called her Pip was her grandmum, though she already passed away.

"Exactly why I chose Pip," He says. "So I can be the only one who can call you that."

And with that, he left the store. A chilly wind enters the room, gradually pushing past my direction and dispersing throughout the room.