CHAPTER 34 - CONSPIRACY

"If you had to pick one," I said carefully, "who would it be?"

Liam scratched the back of his head and took a moment to think it over. "Felix. They're both deadly in a fight, but he's more predictable. Plus, if anyone's going to be Alpha for a few weeks, it should be him. Micah would burn this pack to the ground if he was given half a chance."

"Felix, then," I agreed. "And ... you could beat him?"

"I don't know," he said. "Maybe."

Maybe wasn't the answer I was hoping for. I wasn't sure I'd be able to stand and watch while he fought to the death on a 'maybe.' Felix was six years older than him, and he'd managed to hold the Beta position here at the age of sixteen, so he would be an exceptional fighter. Yippee.

"Well, I'm going to tell Nia we're going for Mason and Micah, if that's cool?" I sighed. "The whole deathmatch thing ... we can figure that out as we go."

Liam nodded. I could tell he wasn't really listening anymore. Instead, he was doing that thing where he just looked at me and smiled. Since we'd reached the place where our paths split, I decided to let it slide.

I caught the collar of his shirt and pulled his head down. Our foreheads were pressed together, and we were way too close. Yes, there were other people in the corridor, but it wasn't entirely for show.

"No more punching people, yeah?" I whispered.

His smile stretched into a lazy grin. "I'll do my best."

We managed a quick hug, and then we went our separate ways. I hadn't even started my shift yet, but I was already sweaty and aching. I didn't have the energy to appreciate the sight of a beautiful sunny day and the pack's famous lake as I trudged towards the pack house.

So far this morning, Liam and I had run together, and we'd done a little bit of fighting, but it hadn't been serious. Liam was too tired for that, and I was still trying to get my head around the idea of putting effort into something. But now the sun had risen, and the clocks had struck ten, so it was time for me to go to work.

I didn't remember how to get to the Alpha's quarters, so I wandered aimlessly for about fifteen minutes before it occurred to me to follow the stench of testosterone. Then it was suddenly very easy. I was approaching the door when I heard raised voices coming from within.

"It's actually quite simple, little brother. You don't authorise executions. You just don't. If I'm not around, you put the prick in a cell and wait. And you tell me about it - as a bare bloody minimum, yeah?"

The owner of that voice was pissed. I could feel their wolf even through the door. I didn't really make a conscious decision to creep closer and listen. It just ... sorta ... happened.

"You left me in charge," someone else mumbled. It sounded like Felix, but I wasn't entirely sure. "Besides, it was Micah who said-"

"I'll get to Micah soon enough. When the siren went off, I linked you, and you said it was nothing to worry about. Do you remember that, Felix?"

Well, screw me. I was flinching at every snapped word, and I had a locked door to protect me. It had to be Mason.

"Yeah," Felix said quietly. "You told me you didn't want to be disturbed unless it was an emergency. I just ... I'm sorry."

His voice was cracking like he was about to burst into tears. Poor dude. I was only feeling the overflow of Mason's anger, and it was enough to make my wolf whimper. Felix was getting his entire, undivided attention.

"And you know what's worse?" Mason demanded, heedless of his brother's misery. "He might have known something about the quarry. The timing is bloody suspect, and now we've lost the chance to interrogate him."