Chapter 5 : No Matter What

After a little while longer recovering in the hospital, I was told it was time to go home. The prospect of this brought a smile to my face for the next few days, and I felt like I was practically radiating joy. Imagine, finally able to look after myself, not dependant on nurses for bringing me food, getting me clothes, helping me move. I knew that it was time for me to prove that I was my own person, and that may seem like nothing to anyone else, but for me it was a big step.

Leading up to my departure from the hospital, I was fitted with a prosthetic arm, to help me with everyday tasks. It gleamed in the light, and, though distorted somewhat, I could finally see my reflection. At last I knew who I was.
The thing that stood out the most, which surprised me, were my eyes. One striking blue, the other a deep, calm brown. Though both had a completely different quality, one almost of ice, the other fire, they were both filled with determination. What for? That was for me to find out. I knew I still had a long way to go, there would be many other challenges, but i promised myself I would pull through, no matter what.

When I walked out of the hospital, I saw the world in it's full vibrancy. No more pale hospital green and yellow. These were real colours, colours that gleamed with personality and character. The sky was a pale blue, speckled with wisps of white. The ground, though a dark colour beneath, was full of life, showing shades unimaginable to my mind previously. Still, I had vague recollections from my life before, but everything was duller in my subsequent thoughts, not anything at all like this. It was... amazing.

On my arrival home, I heard an excitable barking. As I opened the door I saw her. My... My husky <3. She was snow white, with eyes not unlike my own, though both blue. They seemed to have a perceptive quality, like she could understand me fully. As we locked eyes, I realised it wasn't just a one way thing. I could understand her too.

"I'm home... Alaska." She looked up and whimpered in reply. I could feel a deep sadness within her, she'd clearly been waiting for me for all these months. But how did she survive all alone for so long? I guess I could see a great deal of intelligence within her, but surviving alone in a house for a dog is not just a great feat, it's impossible. At least for her, that was over. But here I faced a new challenge.

Life with a prosthetic arm. It was... difficult at first. But every time I got a little frustrated, and my fiery side began too show, Alaska was always there, to quench my flames. As many things do, it got easier over time. I became a pro at bushing my hair, using my prosthetic arm to hold my it in place, getting dressed, somehow managing to get both arms into my old tops, which now barely fit, even tying my shoelaces. I learnt these skills in the short space of a week, and this translated to pretty much  any other task in my life. I guess I was pretty happy with my situation.

Sadly, this didn't last long. Soon, I realised that I was different from everyone. Some called me "unique", others "weird", it was all the same to me. Whether they meant it in a positive or negative way, I was still the same. Different. I stood out and I completely and utterly hated it. I knew I was the same as them, in reality. I could do everything that they could do. I just... looked different. It's just an arm to me, but others see me as incapable of even feeding myself. I must admit, my immediate reaction to finding out about my disability was horror, shock, and whatever else these people feel when they stare. Really? I'm still the same, just... different.

Thanks for reading chapter 5 of The Girl of Ice and Fire!

Feel free to vote if you enjoyed!

#KaliVsCalliVsCallie