Chapter One

Chapter One

Watched

The air of the ice cream parlor was sweet and almost chilly as Evelyn and Caden stepped through the cheery doors out from the rain. The scent of vanilla was overpowering and honestly, Evelyn could say for today she didn't mind it.

"I am going to go get in line, how about you take a seat?" Caden, her best friend smiled at her, his strikingly red hair flopping over in front of his glasses. He gestured over to the far corner booth, which was where they would often sit during the summer to escape the hot heat of the outside.

She nodded and gave him a small smile back, and retreated to the back of the parlor. Setting her messenger bag down, she shifted through until she could find her sweater, she was chilly now considering she was soaked through and her long black hair did not make anything better as it stuck to clothes and made the wet feeling even worse.

After blotting down her hair and pulling over the damp sweater, she finally made herself comfortable in the aluminium seat.

It wasn't like she didn't enjoy the rain, in fact she quite enjoyed it. But sometimes it left her feeling discontent, restless.

Glancing over she looked over to her best friend, Caden was a tall, lanky, band t-shirt wearing teenager. His natural red hair use to be fire engine red, but as he got older it had faded into an auburn which all the girls at the school went nuts for. However 'Wild and free' was his motto, and if his hair had decided it was time to stand up at an awkward angle, so be it.

Caden stood out in a crowd. From his lack of care from rules and dress code, he did as he pleased when it came to how he dressed and looked. Unlike Evelyn who stuck to cleaned shirts and sweaters.

He caught her eye and gave a big mischievous grin, then turned his attention to the kid at the register. She was sure he was picking some random flavor for her to try. Which she knew she would hate.

Caden was always trying to get her to try new things and be more out going, however...

Just the thought made her heart squeeze and she felt short of breath.

Making sure that Caden wasn't looking, she reached into her bag and pulled out her pill container. Popping one in quickly, she dried swallowed it in one and tucked it back into her bag.

"Here we are!" Caden's excited voice came from behind her and she turned and gave him a smile.

"Oh hey, what did you get me?" Slowly her nerves untangled as he sat across from her, setting down her tasty treat.

"I was thinking of being a little mean, but I though I'd be nice. I mean it is my fault we got stuck in the rain." she rubbed her hands together under the table, and starred down at the mint green tea ice cream.

"Thanks." He shrugged, an easy smile on his face.

"No problem."

They ate their ice cream in comfortable silence, as it usually was with them. Afterall they had been friends for so many years. Evelyn found it a comfort that even after all this time, they could just sit quietly and be okay with it. After awhile, her attention was drawn elsewhere. Her eyes drawn over to the window.

It was still raining, but not as heavily. The entire world from the window was grey and blue, the hue was almost dreamlike. Her eyes focused onto the droplets on the window glass, watching them run like rivers. interconnecting and then splitting off to reform again.

Then as her eyes trained another droplet running down, she saw another pair of eyes. Blue but not her color of blue.

The impact of flesh on glass she did not expect as Chris pounded his fist on the window, shock and fear locked up her muscles as she flinched back, her throat closing up as if to scream. But then as she felt the vibrations from the table of Caden standing, She saw a pale white hand slam into the back of Chris's head. His forehead met the glass and she looked back past him as he backed away from the window holding his head in pain.

Dark brown eyes with deep set features met hers. The blonde hair was darker in the rain, longer then she remembered it. She could feel a warm hand on her shoulder as Caden tried to turn her around but as he did she saw the Blonde open his mouth.

"Evelyn."

//Author's Note://

I'm Back!

Thank you to everyone for waiting and putting up with my inconsistent self. I hope you guys enjoy the story! I will be posting new chapters (Which will be a bit shorter) every Friday or Other Friday to help account for my other story which will be up later. (That one is called Nightingale, for now, and will be up later tonight. Those chapters will be a bit longer due to how much content is within that story.)

Thanks and Enjoy!

A.