Friends

I turn to see Cain, holding a few black trash bags.

 Shit. 

.    .    .

He came to take out the trash, that's usually my job. I bolt up, unsure of what to do. 

Should I explain myself? Get the hell out of here? 

My body unable to do either, I stand still, like a deer caught in headlights. I notice that Cain's foot it propping the metal door open.

 Instantly, I tumble through it. 

Cain just shuts the door behind me. He's behind me. We stay in our places for a few minutes. 

Through the metal back door, I can hear the muffled shouts from Jeremey. 

"Fuck the target!" Jeremey yells raspily. "I'm taking Fiera home..." The sound of receding footsteps drives away all my worry.

 I know I can't go back. 

I turn on my heel to face Cain. He looks absolutely bewildered. 

"I- I," Muscled, toned arms snake their way to my back, clasping me so close, I can hear the person's heartbeat. I feel it speeding up erratically, just as my own must be. My arms find themselves wrapped around Cain's upper back. "Cain, let me say some-", He buries his face into my hair, "No words needed," he mutters. 

Impulsively, I pull him into my body, gobbling up all the warmth and safety he has to offer. Cain pulls back reluctantly, he gazes into my face. His green eyes drowning all my self-doubt. They bore into me like a fresh summer day. Instantaneously, I crave to hug him fiercely. 

"So, you're Lover..." he proceeds cautiously. I look at him appalled. I fight the urge to push him hard in the chest and keep a 12 feet distance between us. He senses that and loosens away, but his hands are still clasped behind my lower back. 

He gestures his nose to my mask. Shiz... It must have slipped down from my mouth to my neck during the commotion and well, hugging Cain. 

The black mask is wrapped around my neck like a scarf. 

"No, I don't know what you're talking about?" I say nervously.

 "Don't play dumb," he states simply. I'm about to come up with another lame excuse, but his expression tells me he won't buy it. 

His mind's set, Cain knows. 

His fingers go through my hair, making it unfurl like a rose. Poofing the bob up and grasping chunks of black strands in his hand, then letting it go like a pinch of grass in the wind, making my skin tingle. 

 Eventually, I slump down in a chair. 

"I want the truth, Jyia," Cain demands. "Oh god, the way he says my name sends shivers down my spine. I guess the full moon is making me ludicrous.

 "You probably don't know this or care, but let me tell you. You're my friend. And I was shitting my pants and terrified for you, I mean look at you!" Cain gestures to my painful state. His words shock me, as bad as it sounds, I never knew he saw us as friends, maybe acquaintances, or even work buddies, but friends? I'd never guess.

After a long time, my bones and body release all of their tension and stress. Relief courses through my veins. 

I've been dying to tell someone about me being Lover.

 I can't keep it all to myself anymore, I'm going to explode.

 I lift my face to meet Cain's. I can't put him through what I've been going through. I shouldn't burden him with the secret... Cain's hand's sprawl on top of mine. Melting and blending into my skin, destroying all agony.

 "It's okay. I know what I'm getting myself into," he says. Eyes consuming my own with a certainty I've never seen.

 I let it all out. 

I even tell him about Fiera, Jack, Maren, and even Blake. I leave out my family issues, but I go as far as to tell him how the cuts on my face felt like mini paper cuts.

 That I thought I was going to die

Cain releases the rope around his stern voice and softens. Throughout my rambling, I never once saw Cain look at me differently, his green eyes devoid of judgment. He was open, and never even interrupted once. I finally stopped talking when my jaw bone felt like it was disintegrating. 

"See, does it feel better?" Cain asks playfully.

"Yeah," I grin, maybe friends can be something... nice.

.    .    .

noice noice noice noice noice

longboarding is hard...

drop through