28. Ahlnar

A few days came and went in Fumari. Neither Eske nor Ollyah left the manor in that time. For one, they had yet to feel settled in the kingdom. Secondly, murmurs continued to spread about the strange appearance at Muhnad Manor. Yzuan had explained he would rather allow time for easing the people in Ahlnar into the prospect of Ehverian foreigners. It was not every day someone from Ehvera stepped outside of their own soil. While he said it like that, it was clear to them that it was more for their benefit than the Fumarians'; they were not bothered by the presence so much as interested, and the possible crowds would not help the pair's comfort.

Yet, they were restless. Ollyah could see it in the way Eske continued to cross from his room to hers, never staying in either one for long. She heard his shifting form during the night, and she saw the dark patches under his eyes. They needed to step out of the walls preventing them from making any true assumptions of Fumari. Exposure to the source of their anxiety may be the best deterrent to the feeling's validity.

Ollyah as well found it hard to fall into a slumber. As much as she wanted to be optimistic about Ahlnar and its people, it was hard to forsake the feeling of insecurity coursing through her. This was the first time she ever slept outside of Ehvera. Even on the road here, she felt better. It was as though she was away from the present and all of its troubles. Now, however, she was back in the thick of diplomacy and politics. Or she would be, once the king agreed to see them.

She entered Eske's room after a gentle knock. He sat at the window, staring out with a troubled expression. Though he threw a look over his shoulder at her, it was a curious glance that was stifled within a second.

Her footsteps leading up to him did not jolt him into saying anything or looking away from the window. It was not until she stood at his side that she spoke, either. "I want to go outside."

"There's a garden." Eske's voice sounded quiet, tired. Her gaze dropped down to him, but all she saw was the same dead look he had worn for the past three days.

"I mean go out into the city." She waited, but he said nothing in response. She shifted to face him. "Eske. We cannot stay cooped up like this. It only makes it worse."

At that, he looked up and met her eyes. Though silent, she could tell he was considering her words. She expected refusal, so his reply surprised her. "Okay."

She smiled, bouncing slightly on her heels. "Really?"

His eyebrows shifted upwards, not in surprise, but in adoration. He nodded, a tiny smile of his own forming to match her glee.

***

Eske and Ollyah were given Fumarian clothing by Don and Basjin. She was excited for the change in wardrobe, but Eske hesitated. He went so long ignoring bright colors, only dressing accordingly for special events. Having white hair already made him stand out; he lacked any need for further call for attention.

The light clothing in his hands were not so bright and obvious. Basjin knew his prince, and Eske thanked him out loud for such forethought. Even yet, the soft greens and blues picked out for him contrasted with his usual style enough to make him uncomfortable. Wearing black would work against him here, and Eske recognized that. It did not make it any easier to accept.

When he did change into the new attire, more than the colors bothered him. Ehverian clothing included thicker fabrics, and his own style often fit his form perfectly. He could not expect average clothing not specifically tailored to him to be as well-done, but that was not the issue. It was the draping, airy style that gave him pause. Basjin managed to find something with long sleeves and pants, but Eske still felt open. Nothing but the waistline of his pants clung to his skin.