Chapter 15

The darkening horizon just outside of Argante was lit by a crackling gash.

The princess' predictions of the weather had been sorely misguided which she could see with the clouds rolling quickly over her kingdom's forest.

The boom that came after startled both Prince and Princess out of their argument.

Rain battered the tree line and their heads, drenching their clothes to the very last fibre.

"We have to get to shelter," Irenie hissed at the icy water. "No arguing."

They ran for the horse, but the mare was rearing her head and snorting clouds of steam that evaporated in the rain.

"What's wrong with your beast?" Froglip asked, his voice becoming distant as it had to contend with the violent storm passing overhead.

They flung themselves under the canopy, breathing heavy and weighed down by clothing.

Although the princess hated to agree on any matter with the prince of the goblins at this moment, she felt a wave of unease after witnessing the creature's alarming behaviour.

However, that's when Irenie spotted the pair of enormous shoes standing right beside the shade of the nearest chestnut tree.

Irenies's wide horrified eyes travelled up the trunk of the man until it came upon the rough and scarred features hiding in the shadows.

"'Goodevenin'," the man smirked from high in the tree branches, his smile cutting a slice in the darkness.

"Well, well," a voice that betrayed just as much ominous intent spoke from behind Irenie. "Look what we've stumbled across-"

The princess whirled around to behold a trio of robbers now surrounding them completely.

Irenie held up her palm but the magic wouldn't flow through. Of course.

The thug holding her horse grinned wider as he stepped into the partial light, revealing more of his scarred face. "Why... you're a comely thing, ain't yah?"

The robber side-stepped Irenie and grabbed Froglip by the chin, turning the angry goblin's face from side to side with a demeaning inspection.

"You'll sell for a pretty penny." The man grinned, his rancid breath leaving Irenie nauseous.

"You won't be selling anyone!" Irenie hissed passed her trepidation and disgust.

"What are we gunna do with this one?" The third robber asked as he gestured lazily at the princess. "She's a little too feisty for selling."

The one who seemed to be in charge rubbed a bent knuckle along his chin and sniffed indifferently.

He leaned back and gave Irenie's body an unimpressed flick of his sable eyes. "We'll leave her behind. No sense in carrying around unsellable product."

The gasp that fell from Irenie's lips did not do her bruised pride justice. It wasn't as if she should mind the opinion of her assailant. At least she wasn't viewed as a threat and she could plan a rescue of the goblin prince when they left.

"You snivelling milk-worm," Froglip snapped, his princely face snarling as he took a defensive step in front of Irenie. "This is the Princess of the sun-people."