Chapter 2: The Unexpected

Chapter 2:

“Morning.” Cato says to me ever so casually. “Nice day isn’t it?”

“Uh y-yeah.” I say with a slight yawn. “What time is it?”

“I left my house around 7:30 so it’s probably 8:00 or so. Did you sleep out here all night?”

“I must’ve fallen asleep by accident.”

                I stand up and get myself together. I’m still wearing my white, lace dress, which of course, is now damp from the early morning dew. My hair isn’t brushed and has daisies and grass all it. I can’t worry about my appearance now though; I have to get home to my mom. She doesn’t know where I am or where I’ve been. She probably thought I stayed at Lara’s.

                After I rub the tiredness out of my eyes, I notice Cato is trying to prevent himself from laughing.

“What’s so funny?” I ask him.

“Oh nothing,” he says between small chuckles, “nothing at all.”

“Tell me!” I can’t help but say with a smile. I normally would be getting angry because I hate being laughed at. If this was Lara, I would probably get mad and demand her to tell me but with Cato, I can’t get mad for some reason. I just really love his laugh and it is making it impossible for me to get angry. He just keeps laughing and laughing.

“Well, if you’re not going to tell me, I need to get home. My mom is probably really worried about me. So, see you around, I guess.”

                I begin to turn towards the direction of town before Cato stops me. He ran around, remarkably fast I might add, and stood right in front of me with one hand on my collar bone and said, “No, don’t go! I’ll tell you, I’ll tell you!”

“Alright, let’s hear it then, funny guy?”

“It’s kind of awkward for me to say but I’ll just come right out and tell you.”

“Go on?”

“Well, sleeping in the grass all night, with the moisture, in a white dress…..you kind of have a really big grass stain on your…” He chuckles one more time.

                I immediately turn my body to get a view of my rear. Sure enough, the biggest grass stain I have ever seen is right on top of my buttocks.

“No! Oh my goodness!” I say while trying to cover it up. “Look away!”

I have no idea why I am so embarrassed, but I am.

“No, no, no, you’re alright!” I shouldn’t have laughed so hard. “Forgive me?”

“Forgiven.” I say. “But, please don’t tell anyone how horrible I look in the morning.” I say with a little giggle.

“You look just as beautiful as you did yesterday, you never EVER look horrible.” He says to me with emphasis on the word ever. “I just couldn’t keep my eyes off you.”

“Thanks…is that why you were staring at me? You kind of freaked Lara out.”

“Sorry about that. I just never realized how different you look from when we were children helping out our moms do laundry to now.”

“Is that a good thing?” I say confused.

“Yeah.” He smiles. “I meant that in a good way.”

I can feel my cheeks flush. I don’t remember ever blushing so much in my entire life. I don’t want to say something stupid so I just think I should end this conversation now.