THEA VS. FRIENDSHIP

Apparently it's cold today, and that's not something I had planned

Apparently it's cold today, and that's not something I had planned. I think forty-two degrees is a little cold for just jeans and a T-shirt; I should have brought a jacket. It never got this cold in September back when I lived in Georgia. Granted, it's late September, almost October, but still. I mean, it's not that I don't like the cold weather, I love it, actually, it's just not something I'm used to.

I hop in my old truck and begin the drive to school, the radio playing classic rock in the background. The roads are still slick with last night's rain, causing me to be extra careful on the turns.

Actually, that's a lie. I probably still take the corners a little too fast.

The forest is completely still, like last night's events never happened... If they did even happen. I spent all night tossing and turning, trying to forget about the howls of last night. I can still hear them, echoing in my head. I mean, this is some kind of crazy, mystical, spiritual crap and its freaking me out. It was like I was in some sort of trance that I couldn't wake up from.

I turn the radio up louder, trying to drown out my turmoultuous thoughts and replace them with the sound of Lynard Skynard's "Simple Man."

○○○

"If it isn't the lovely Ms. Allen," a coy voice says behind me. I turn around to come face-to-face with a smirking Jones. Carter Jones, actually. I was informed of his first name a few days ago.

"Hey," I say, nodding my head in acknowledgement. I really just want to get to the lunch room at this point.

"How's my favorite newcomer?" He asks, falling into step beside me. He seems lighter, more care-free than usual, if that's even possible for the crazy teen. Come to think of it, I actually haven't seen him too much. Mostly, I just see him in passing. He doesn't even sit with me at lunch, although I am usually dragged over to the center table by Sorrell or Luke anyways.

"You do realize I'm the only newcomer, right?" I question, raising a brow. "I'm fine, though."

He opens his mouth to say something more when he is abruptly cut off by an angry shout.

"Beat it, Jones," Axel says harshly, coming to stand rigidly by my side, Luke and Sorrell soon joining the group. Axel's harsh tone surprises me; he is normally a pretty soft spoken dude.

"Hey, hey, just trying to make friendly conversation," Jones pleads, his smile never dropping.

"Yeah, well, make friendly conversation somewhere else," Luke adds, crossing his arms defensively over his chest.

"Alright, well, I can see where I'm not needed. See you later, Thea. You too, Princess," he says, winking flirtatiously at a less than amused Sorrell.

"C'mon," Luke says, snatching up my arm and dragging me off to their table.

"Actually I was going--" I was going to sit in the library and try to get some writing done, since the thought of which has been nagging at me since this morning, but I never finished that thought.