Chapter One: Before

Sixth Months Before...

"Bre, you've got to stop moping around

"Bre, you've got to stop moping around. It's been two months already! He's moved on, obviously. So should you." 

With her hands squared up on her hips, the bottled blonde almost looks intimidating. Almost.

I take a heavy breath and roll forward, letting my dark waves cloud my vision as I peel away my comforter and attempt getting out of bed. "You say that like it's easy," I groan, "Like there's some sort of 'on/off' switch everyone's wired with and all I have to do is flip it, but I can't."

"Yes, you can!" Eloise plants herself on the edge of my bed and pats my thigh. I know she's trying to be patient, but she's failing. She bites the bottom of her lip and smiles like she's about to explode. "And it all starts with you getting up and ready." She says too quickly. "Come on, babe. My show starts at nine and according to my watch, it's exactly- shit! 8: 25." 

"Can't I just catch the next one?" I know this is a fight I'm never going to win, but I'm trying anyway. "I'm tired. And weak. I don't know anything about these kids and I'm trying to catch up with all their IEPs and-"

"You're speaking teacher and that's a language I don't understand. Like, at all." Ellie interrupts. "Come on, you're never gonna get over Nate laying in your bed like some sort of desperate dog lady." Meatloaf perks up at the insult. Ellie shrugs and stands. "You need to get out of the apartment, Bre. Like, immediately. Don't let that asshole win."

Eloise checks out her reflection in the mirror across from my bed. She turns sideways, examining her long curls and perfectly sculpted figure. I can tell she's pleased with herself in the way that she smiles, and for just a second she forgets about trying to convince me to leave.

 I can tell she's pleased with herself in the way that she smiles, and for just a second she forgets about trying to convince me to leave

"I don't have time to do your makeup, but if you hurry I'll let you raid my closet." She starts back. "I'm sure I have something just slutty enough to turn a few heads."