chapter six

Dave and Jane's conversation continued for the most part of three hours, people had come into the diner on and off but the pair remained. Dave found that Jane was so easy to talk to, not like most girls. She didn't talk as if she was trying to get something out of it. Dave could definitely tell she grew up with brothers, she was kind but knew how to fight back. Dave also found himself informing her on the Foo Fighters and whatnot, he was surprised to hear that she'd attended multiple shows.

"You're telling me we've met before?!" Dave was genuinely
surprised that he wouldn't have recognised someone as beautiful as her. "1993, Nirvana did a show in Atlantic City. Afterwards you and Krist came out and signed some things, you behaved...different to now let's put it that way" She took a hesitant sip of her coffee, leaving Dave to stew on what she had meant.

Only one ting came to mind when he thought about what stupid young Dave would've said to a pretty girl. "Fuck" He groaned "I didn't did I?" He face-palmed at the thought of him trying to play the rockstar card. Jane tried to hold in her laughter "You said the van had no heating and it got cold in the nights" She couldn't hide her laughter as she reminded Dave. He let out another cringed groan "Fuck, I am so sorry" 'No wonder she wanted nothing to do with him when they first met' he thought to himself. "Hey, if it makes you feel any better, my friend had to drag me away from you leading me to the van" Her cheeks turned the lightest shade of pink as Dave smirked. "Who knows what woulda happened on that van" Dave took a sip from his new cup of coffee, trying not to sound creepy. "Sinful things Mr Grohl!" She feigned shock causing Dave to almost spit out his drink from laughter.

The waitress came over with the pairs bill and Dave watched as Jane reached for her purse. 'Never seen a girl do that before, Huh' Dave thought. Dave of course pushed her small hand away, earning a frustrated look "Let me pay, i'm the one who asked you here" she went for her purse again, Dave softly slapped her hand away. "Uh uh, that wouldn't be very gentlemanly of me" Dave stared into her eyes as she wore an exaggerated pout.

Dave took out his wallet, instantly regretting not letting Jane pay. In the little plastic window on his wallet held a small photo of him and Jennifer. His eyes widened as he quickly closed it up to try and hide any evidence. It was too late of course, nothing could go right for more than a few hours Dave always thought. Jane's expression was definitely something to see. It was as if after all these hours of opening up and bonding, she'd retreated back into her shell, a slight frown pulled at her lips.

"So that's something..." She muttered sarcastically. Dave sighed "I'm sorry, you weren't supposed to see that" Dave couldn't stop the words coming out, wishing he could swallow his tongue as he saw Jane raise an eyebrow. "Oh, so you were gonna let this date carry on without so much as mentioning your girlfriend? Super classy dude" She scowled at Dave, grabbing her bags. Dave instantly panicked, reaching for her hand. "Jane, please just stay" He knew the whiny tone of his voice was definitely annoying, he only hoped it would convince her to stay. "Cool meeting you Sailor Boy, thanks for the Pancakes" She put on a fake smile and headed out the door. 'Fucking great' Dave thought sighing into his hands 'Out of my life faster than she came in'

Little did Dave know that this wasn't going to be the last time Jane walked away from him...