Chapter Thirty-One.

Chapter Thirty-One:

I wasn't expecting this at all.

I shrink in my seat as Kendrick pulls up to the entrance of the town hall. The bright camera flashes continue as they capture the fake smiles of guests who pose in front of them. A couple of people I recognise being famous celebrities and all, and there are others here, politicians and company CEOs.

Kendricks voice pulls at my anxiety as the car in front of us start to disappear from the strip as we get closer and closer to the beginning of the carpet. "Alex, you're not backing out are you?"

I turn my head seeing the slight amusement in Kendricks eyes, he's challenging me, knowing that this way he can pull me out of my own damn anxiety. "Fuck off, I'm doing this."

"Just checking." Kendrick winks and then accelerates forward until it's now our car on display in front of the photographers. Kendrick turns in his seat to talk to me, waving the valet away to wait. "Remember, the paparazzi are only allowed outside the event none of them are going to be inside as it's a private function."

I nod and Kendrick continues helping to ease the ball of nerves that had suddenly appeared in the pit of my stomach. "There will only be invited photographers inside. The McKinley family like to keep their life out of public eyes and have been given a special request not to have their pictures taken, so you don't have to worry about your face being on any media sites."

"Alright." I whisper releasing a strangled breath. "So once I step out of here, don't talk or pose...just keep walking until I meet Isabel."

"Correct." Kendrick grins. The valet taps on the window as a warning and Kendrick turns and nods his head once. "Showtime baby."

The door opens and a stranger in a black and white suit smiles down at me, a strained smile for that matter. I take his hand as he helps me out of the car and into the bright lights of the lit pathway leading to the city hall. Immediately my attention is swallowed by the murmurs of curious observers who watch as I take a deep breath.

"Miss! Look this way." A voice shouts from my left followed by a blinding flash, which brings me back to reality.

I say a quick thank you to the escort and begin my track to the safety of the auction in these ridiculous heels. The flashing never stops and the shutters of the camera continue to build with each step.

"Who's she?"

"Can you give us a smile beautiful."

"Hey! Over here, let me take your picture."

"Who's family do you belong to?"

All their shouts cloud into one as I continue to ignore them with my eyes strained against the bright lights. I clutch my invitation and as fast as I could walk without looking panicked, I dodge all the questions and the cameras making my way to the guarded doors. I show my invitation and the big scary looking man scrolls through his iPad until he stops on my name. He whispers something in his ear piece making the door opens in front of me.

Immediately I'm swarmed into a life of luxury as the bright lights decorate the city hall giving it this type of glow. Everyone seems to know each other as they wait to be escorted to their tables by volunteers, their greetings and hugs and introductions all the while I'm standing here like a loser.

Then my heart stops and a calm washes over me so suddenly, my nerves are starting to evaporate and I literally sigh in relief. An arm snakes around my waist not enough to pull me in, but enough to stop my thoughts and focus on the innocent action.

"I thought you didn't like these things." I tell him. I didn't even have to look up for me to know who this was, just the feel of his arm brought a sense of familiarity through my body.