Chapter 20 Ghost Story

Allie

~~~

After leaving Pierce's office Steve heads straight for the elevator, urgently pulling me along.

"He didn't even mention Gabie," I whisper and Steve shakes his head. "And I'm sure Sharon reported that she was there. Steve, something isn't right here."

"We have to get out of here and get that drive before anything else," Steve replies as we step into the elevator. "Operations control."

"Confirmed," the computer chimes. The elevator doors begin sliding shut but just as they are about to close Brock Rumlow's arm stops them. Rumlow then steps in with another two STRIKE agents.

"All STRIKE personal on site," Rumlow states and the other two agents echo acknowledgments to the order.

"Understood."

"Yes, sir."

"Forensics," Brock requests and the computer quickly responds.

"Confirmed."

"Cap, Siren," he greets shortly.

"Rumlow," Steve acknowledges while I just give a nod. The elevator doors close and they start riding down.

"Evidence response found some fibers on the roof they want us to see. You want me to get the tac-team ready?" Rumlow queries and Steve shakes his head.

"No, let's wait and see what it is first."

"Right."

On the occasions when I am relatively quiet and uninvolved with conversations it's because my thoughts are unfocused and my attention is instead on my surroundings. As my eyes dart around I take notice to one of the agents touching his weapon suspiciously. I tilt my head up slightly and see that Steve has noted the same fact.

The elevator stops and more SHIELD and STRIKE agents enter, crowding and surrounding Steve and I.

"Administrations level," one of them calls, though I doubt it.

"Confirmed." A few agents shuffle by to stand behind us muttering quiet "excuse me's".

The elevator goes down a floor and stops again.

"Um...sorry about what happened with Fury. Messed up what happened to him," Rumlow apologizes doing his best to look sincere.

"Thank you," Steve returns genuinely.

The agents surrounding us are pointedly keeping their eyes forward and I notice one of them has sweat dribbling down his neck. Oddly enough they are all wearing long sleeved shirts and pants, usually STRIKE agents have short sleeves. Something is off here. I sneak a closer look at the agent nearest me and find a barely noticeable clear plug in his ear.

That's the final nail in our coffin.

Looking to Steve I see his expression is one of stoic protectiveness; no one besides me would recognize the message he's sending with the tiniest of variations in the otherwise blank face.  I recognize this look, it's the expression he has when he feels overwhelmingly defensive of me but feels he may be being irrational so he tries to hide it or if he is trying to remain calm while in an argument in front of me.

The elevator stops again and even more agents pile in, making a pointless floor request as they do.

"Records."

"Confirmed."

The doors slide shut, we are utterly surrounded, completely outnumbered, and insanely outgunned. Steve shifts on his feet and holds his head up high, posing a flat and on the mark question,