Dance Until You Die

Roman, Patton, and Emile sat in chairs across from the witches inside the Sanderson house. It was awkwardly quiet. Roman tapped his thumb on his folded hands. Virgil picked at his skirts. Patton bounced his leg while Logan tapped his pointer finger against his leg. Emile fiddled with his pen and Remy snored. Logan sighed and elbowed Remy who jolted up with a shout.

"I wasn't asleep Mr. Thicket!" Remy blinked, forced himself to focus, before losing it again when Emile giggled at him. A smile twitched at his lips before he transferred it into a smirk. Logan frowned and cleared his throat. Remy glanced at his brother and rolled his eyes. "Alright, get on with it."

Logan rolled his eyes so hard they almost got stuck. Then he turned towards the three teens sitting in front of them. "So, I suppose you will want an explanation?"

"Yeah, that's kinda why we're here Microsoft Nerd," Roman huffed.

Logan's face twisted in confusion. "What's a 'Microsoft Nerd'?"

Roman froze and blinked. He stared blankly at Logan for a few moments before he remembered the three people in front of him were witches from over 300 years ago brought back from the dead for one night. "Sorry, it's a 21th-century thing."

Logan pursed his lips, trying to restrain himself from asking more questions about the 21st century. He sighed. "Okay. So, I suppose we shall start at the beginning." Logan clenched his fist.

Virgil leaned forward with a frown and placed one of the cats on his lap. "Here. I can start with you."

Logan held the cat as Virgil started the story. "We moved into Salem along with our mothers. They were very kind women. They taught us most of what we know. We stayed in the woods because most of us were.." Virgil bit his lip. "Reclusive? And eventually, they passed. It was about a year before we were..." Virgil took a deep breath. "Before we were hanged. And unfortunately, there was another witch in the town. He wasn't like us. And it was even worse that we didn't find that part out until it was too late." He huffed and clenched his fists before letting out a deep breath. "He used his wits and knowledge of magic to worm his way into our close-knit family. He used us and our gifts to gain life. He had found a spell that allowed him to suck the life out of children to gain more life for himself. He had used it for years to keep himself young. He sweet-talked the three of us..." Virgil felt his throat beginning to close up. "He learned of how Remy had a magically enhanced sense of smell and..he.." Virgil's throat felt scratchy. His eyes felt itchy and his face felt splotchy. "He-" He felt something cool splash onto his cheek. He frowned, confused. Was it raining? What was happening? Why couldn't he see? His ears were ringing. Why were his ears ringing? What was going on? Why couldn't he breathe? Who was that speaking?

"Vir-il!" What were they saying? "-gil!"

"Virgil!"

Virgil jumped as he felt hands on him. "Virgil, breathe. In 4, hold 7, out for 8." Virgil followed the instructions, repeating them as needed. Soon the ringing in his ears died down and he could see again, albeit a little blurry. Virgil took a few moments to calm down some more as he took in his surroundings. Remy and Logan were on either side of him while he noticed Patton and Emile in the background wringing their hands with worry. Both Binx and John sat calmly in his lap, emitting loud purrs. He frowned as he realized one of their group was missing. Where's Princey? Suddenly, Virgil became aware that he wasn't sitting on his chair anymore. He wasn't even sitting on the floor. Whatever was beneath him felt warm and fleshy. "It's okay, Virgil. Everything is okay." Roman.

Virgil's face flushed red. "Don't worry Virgil, we explained everything to them," Remy said, uncharacteristically soft. Virgil nodded and relaxed against Roman as the valiant teen ran his fingers through Virgil's hair, soothing the anxious witch as he calmed down from his attack.