Chapter 11

ThunderClan was the first to arrive at Fourtrees. RiverClan and ShadowClan came shortly after. The cats spilt up to talk to other cats from different Clans.

Frostleaf found herself beside a Riverclan apprentice, Foxpaw. "Hello," she greeted hesitantly. "How's your training going?" Frostleaf asked carefully.

Foxpaw shrugged. "Fine, although I think I should be a medicine cat apprentice." Another Riverclan apprentice interupted. "Foxpaw, you should not share our secerts with enemy clans."

Foxpaw sighed. "I'm not, Breezepaw." Breezepaw glared at Frostleaf before leaving with a puff. "Ignore my brother, he is always suspicious of other clans," Foxpaw mewed.

As Frostleaf nodded, WindClan arrived. "Sorry that we are late, one of our queens started kitting and delayed our arrival," Rabbitstar announced.

Duskstar then announced the start of the Gathering. Rabbitstar started first by telling the clans about more new kits, borned to Poppyfoot and Dawnflight.

"The thaw affected part of the camp, but luckily, none of our warriors are harmed," he said, looking at the other clans.

Then, Greenstar spoke next. "The thaw affected us too, but our warriors managed to get to safety. It has also replenished the river. The thaw is a blessing from StarClan."

Several cats from ShadowClan growled angrily. "What's with them?" Foxpaw asked Frostleaf. She shrugged.

Duskstar was next. "The thaw has affected us badly," he growled sadly. "We have lost a warrior, Stoneclaw, to the flood." A queen wailed in grief at the mention of his name.

"Good for him," Greyclaw whispered to Frostleaf. She shook her head. "A loss of a warrior is a lost for all clans."

"But didn't he killed Ravenkit?" he asked.

"Yes, but we need to forgive and forget," she replied. Foxpaw stared at her admiringly. Grayclaw gave her a cult nod.

"... but Clan life goes on. ShadowClan has two new kits: Brightkit and Shimmerkit," Duskstar was saying.

Nightstar was the last. "The flood had flooded our camp, but with the help of StarClan, we got to safety and prevented any losses. We also have three new kits: Silverkit, Timberkit and Dewkit."

As soon as Nightstar had finished his report, the Gathering ended. "Bye, Foxpaw," Frostleaf said.

~~~~

Three moons past, and nothing interesting happened. Nightstar was going to conduct the apprentice ceremony for Brownstripe's kits. The day before, he told Webfoot, Frostleaf and Patchheart that they are going to be mentors.

Frostleaf looked up eagerly as Nightstar carried out the ceremony. "Silverkit, Timberkit and Dewkit have reached the age of six moons and are ready to become apprentices."

"Until they have received their warrior names, they will be known as Silverpaw, Timberpaw and Dewpaw."

"Silverpaw, your mentor is Frostleaf. I hope she passes all her skills to you," he addressed the slivery apprentice.

"Timberpaw, your mentor is Patchheart. Patchheart, pass down your humour and courage to him."

"Dewpaw, your mentor is Webfoot. Webfoot, pass down your dedication to the Clan to this young apprentice," Nightstar finished.

"Silverpaw! Timberpaw! Dewpaw!" the clan, especially Brownstripe, yowled. Silverpaw walked to her mentor.

"I will do my best," she promised. Silverpaw reminds me of my apprentice days, Frostleaf thought. As it was still early, Frostleaf brought Silverpaw to the forest.

Frostleaf liked Silverpaw because of her willingness to learn. When she brought her to Sunningrocks, Silverpaw tried to catch a fish but ended up falling into the river.

"That's definitely not how you catch a fish," Frostleaf mewed. "And fishing is for RiverClan." Silverpaw looked at her and replied, "But what if the prey in the forest run out? The clan might stave without knowing how to hunt for other prey."

"Good point," Frostleaf admitted. "You can try that, but prey running out in the forest doesn't happen all the time."

Frostleaf led her to the Thunderpath, where she taught Silverpaw of the dangers. Silverpaw listened quietly with fascination.

When they headed back to camp, the freshkill pile was well stocked. She sent Silverpaw to eat and she sat beside Stagwind.

Russeteyes walked towards Nightstar and began talking to him in hushed voices. Then, he summoned the clan. "Russeteyes, do you wish to retire and become an elder?"

"Yes," the she-cat replied. "Then you may retire and have many moons of rest." Frostleaf blinked. She didn't know that Russeteyes was actually old.

Spottedpelt welcomed her while Brownstripe touched noses with his mate. Only one elder was missing: Ashwhisker.

"Ashwhisker is dead." Nightstar announced sadly. Ripples of shock echoed through the Clan. "He died peacefully and the clan honours him for his long service for the clan."

Spottedpelt, who knew him the longest, came forward to share tougues with him for the last time. As the sun began to set, most of the clan headed back to their dens.

Frostleaf looked at Russeteyes, who was licking Ashwhisker's messy fur. "He was a good mentor to my sister," Frostleaf heard her mew.

The Clan is getting older, she thought worriedly. She looked at Spottedpelt's expression, which was clouded with sadness and something else that the young warrior couldn't understand.

Some secerts are meant to hidden forever, Frostleaf decided.