Chapter 20

"Haan aur woh phool wahan lagne chahiye. Theek se karo bhai. Sab kuch ekdum perfect hona chahiye aur woh bhi aaj shaam se pehle." Sidra's voice echoed through the hall of the Qureshi house. It was just 9 am in the morning but her preparations had started on full swing. She was determined not to miss out on even the tiniest detail for her son's engagement.

Aman, who had woken up to the ongoing hustle bustle, rubbed the corner of his eyes with his wrist and walked towards his mother.

"Ammi! Yeh sab kya hai, aap yeh chair par kyun khari hain?" He couldn't help but laugh at her situation, she was standing on a chair trying to see the positions of the flowers while guiding the florist where to hang them.

"Tere sagai ki tayyariyan aur kya. Ab mujhe zyada distract mat kar main gir jaungi."

"Gire aapke dushman. Main hoon na yahan pe," he took a few steps closer and stood right next to her chair. He took her hands and helped her come down.

"Decorations sahi lag rahe hai? Firdaus ko pasand ayenga na?"

Aman scanned the room from one end to the other. It was covered with delicate white orchids and fairy lights.

"It's perfect." He looked at her and smiled. It filled her heart with immense joy, seeing him truly happy after years.

"Thank you Ammi. Aap mera saath nahi deti toh yeh kabhi possible nahi ho pata."

"Aapni maa ko thank you bolega ab? Pagal." She patted his cheeks and chuckled. "Kaise nahi deti tumhara saath? Tum mujhe duniya mein sabse zyada pyaare ho, pata hai na tumhe?"

"Ab dhire boliye, Adil ne sunliya toh phirse melodrama shuru hojayega!" They laughed. Aman wrapped his arms around his mother and hugged her tight.

"Waise aapki hone wali dulhan ki kya khabar hai? Ussey poochha woh log kab tak nikal rahe hai?"

"Haan. Meri kal se ussey baat nahi hui lekin Shagufta aunty ne kahan tha woh 6 baje tak nikal jayenge."

"Chalo achha hai. Ab hato mujhe raasta do, kitne saare kaam pare hai, aur mujhe yahan baaton mein laga diya, Allah!" Sidra quickly strutted towards the kitchen saying something to the maids, leaving Aman standing there smiling to himself. A little while later he went to the garden where Asad was sitting with a cup of tea and the newspaper.

"Good morning baba." He sat down on the chair right next to him. Asad briefly looked up and gave him a weak smile.

"Good morning. Andar tayyariyan kaisi jaa rahi hai? Tumhari ammi ne toh kal se ghar ko sar par charha rakhi hai."

Aman chuckled. "Haan, woh kaafi excited hai." He wanted to say something more, but he didn't know how to put it across. There was a moment of silence between them before he finally mustered up the courage to speak.

"Baba main jaanta hoon aap iss shaadi sey khush nahi hai. Lekin main apni zindagi ka itna bara kadam aapko dukh dekar nahi uthana chahta."

Asad lowered the newspaper and looked at his son with a strange softness in his eyes. Aman's head was bowed down, and he did not want to see his son like that.

"Agar tum jaante ho ke main khush nahi hoon, toh iske peechhe wajah bhi jaante ho. Beta main tumhe khush dekhna chahta hoon. Aisa koi faisla nahi karne dena chahta jissey aage jakar tumhe koi nuksan pahunche ya tumhe koi pachtawa ho. Beherhaal, agar tumhe waqai lagta hai tum dono ek dusre ke saath khush rahoge, toh main tumhe nahi rokunga."

Aman opened his mouth, as if he wanted to say something in protest but his word lost their way before it reached his lips. Instead he could only blurt out a few words in defense.