III

After he knew they were done looking, he started to run, hoping to catch up to Richie. Richie lived much closer to their club house than he did. Eddie still had to pass by the Neibolt house on his way home everyday. Each time he came across that house, his arm would ache where it was once broken and he could still hear the guttural voice beckoning to him.

Eddie kept an eye out for Richie and his familiar Hawaiian style button up shirt, but he couldn't find him. Before he knew it, he was passing Richies house. The sky was starting to get darker and Eddie picked up the pace. Like hell he wanted to walk by Neibolt in the dark. Richies bedroom light was on and he caught a quick glimpse of a shadow moving through it.

He must've ran home. Eddie thought and sighed, shifting his gaze to his feet. He continued to walk home, dreading passing by that old creaky house where they defeated the killer clown just years earlier. Only a few more blocks. Eddie started to think about what happened to Richie earlier. "He was acting like I was a monster." He whispered to himself and sighed. He must've seen something, he had to, but... what? I thought this was over.

As he came near the neibolt house his steps slowed until he came to a full stop. Staring with big brown eyes and light freckles at the front door of that house. Stupid fucking house. Suddenly however, he felt very drawn to the door. His feet moved towards the house, dragging his less than willing mind towards it. There was no fighting it though.

The door swung open slowly, creaking and screeching. Eddie paused less than a foot away from the door, his breath stopped in his throat.

"Eddie..." a raspy whisper came from inside beckoning him closer. "What are you looking for..."

Richie... the thought lulled in Eddies mind and slowly drifted away as he put his hand on the door, pushing it open more.

"Don't," a voice came from behind him and a hand grabbed his wrist, pulling him back and away from the door. Eddie shouted out and turned around, his heart pounding in his chest. A tall wavy haired boy with black rimmed glasses stood behind him, looking concerned. "What the hell are you doing out here, Eds? It's late."

"R-Richie.." Eddie said breathlessly and blinked rapidly. "Me? W-what are you doing here? I saw you at your house, I- didn't I?" He questioned and pulled his hand away, not trusting this person in front of him.

"I wasn't at home, Eddie. I came here. I don't know why... but I felt like I needed to." Richie glanced at Eddies distrustful expression and rolled his eyes in return. "It's me, Eddie."

"Prove it." Eddie said quickly. Richie hesitated and sighed.

"When we were 13, we were at a sleepover at Bens and after everyone fell asleep. You started crying because you were afraid, you woke me up and we went outside together. I distracted you by pointing out all the constellations that I knew and coming up with different names for them."

Eddie narrowed his eyes at him. Still reluctant to believe him.

"Orion's dick." Richie said and pointed at the night sky. Eddie opened his mouth to talk, when the door behind him slammed violently. He jumped into Richies arms and buried his face into his shirt.

"Richie," he mumbled. Richie held him close and backed down the steps and away from the house, leading Eddie away. The warmth Eddie felt from this boy convinced him that he was real, it was the same warmth he felt that night under the stars.

"Let's get out of here." Richie mumbled and glared back at the house. He glanced down at Eddies face, his gaze fixated on something far away from them. "Hey, you okay, Eds?" Richie touched Eddies cheek absently and frowned. "I'm sorry about earlier I jus-"

Eddie looked up at Richies face and gasped at what he saw. His lips were sewn shut all patchy and bloody. And his face was rotting with worms and maggots wiggling in and out of his orifices. He shoved his hand away and backed up. "Holy shit." He blurted and gagged, shutting his eyes tightly.

"Eddie?" Richie knitted his eyebrows together and reached out for him. "Eddie, look at me." His voice grew alarmed as Eddie shook with fear and disgust. Eddie finally opened his eyes and looked at Richie, relief flooded over him as his companions face was back to normal. Looking at him with concern and worry.

"Rich, I-"

"I'm sorry."

"What?" Eddie looked confused. Richie seemed conflicted with his thoughts, searching desperately for the right words.

"Fuck it." He groaned and grabbed Eddies arm, pulling him close and hugging him. "I'm just sorry. For everything, for picking a fight with Connor, for you having to clean me up, for acting weird earlier, for being weird, and annoying and-"

"Beep beep, Richie." Eddie whispered and hugged him back. "Your mouth was sewn shut..." Richie pulled back and looked at him curiously. "And you had worms and maggots on your face." A memory flashed back in Richies mind, of a small casket and doll that looked like himself.

That's why he was freaking out. Richie thought and fear blinded him for a moment. I saw something earlier too, what if it's back, what if it isn't over, what if-

"It's pretty silly isn't it..." Eddie laughed sadly and rubbed his eyes. "I don't know what's going on right now to be honest."

"Eddie..." a guttural voice slithered around the two boys standing outside the old broken house. Eddie stiffened and stared at his feet.

I gotta get Eddie out of here. Richie grabbed Eddies arm and pulled him down the street quickly. "Let's go, Eds. Your mom probably has your face on a milk carton and the police out looking for you by now. Let's get you home."