Chapter 3: History

Draco Malfoy is a man of many layers. Like his favorite onions, he thought. Raised on Pureblood aristocracy, he grew up to be a rather horrid little boy. He idolized his father, lapped up the man's thinly veiled insults and scarce praise. Although, the lack of paternal love was tolerable with the silver spoon he was born with. Or more accurately, a Goblin-sculpted diamond spoon held by a mistreated House-elf. But it really didn't matter, he loved his mother more anyway.

Draco was especially worse during his years in Hogwarts. It all started with that knobhead Potter, didn't want to be friends with him. Him! Not only is Draco a Pureblood, but his family was the most superior of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. And to further grate his gears, Potter went on and made friends with Weasley the Blood Traitor and some Mudblood he picked up on the train.

Mudblood, that strange word. He first encountered it in a furious letter written by Lucius. No son of his was to be beaten by a girl so inferior, it said. Draco wondered for a long time if the Granger girl really did bleed brown. But she never cut herself during Potions so he wasn't able to find out. And even if she did, one would never find Draco too close to her to bear witness. Apparently, Mudbloods steal magic from the magic folk around them. The fact that she was studying at Hogwarts meant that magic was readily available for her to take. It could be the reason why she successfully landed that blow to Draco's nose in Year 3.

Year 4 was just magnificent. There were new faces from that French academy, Beauxbatons was it? All of the birds were fit and French. He was exhausted of the same pug noses and puckered lips he sees everyday, so it was a welcome reprieve. And not to brag, but his first time was with a senior from Beauxbatons and she was good. If only Draco had known that the horny, teenage glee he was feeling then would be fleeting.

His life went arse over tit when the Dark Lord settled in his childhood home. The Unforgivables were so casually thrown around, he often wondered if it was going to hit him next. Reality and dread settled in his stomach when talk came of the assassination plot and his role in it. Insulting Saint Potter and his merry band of idiots was one thing, killing a human being was another. Draco couldn't do it, he just can't. He was a bully, for fuck's sake, not a murderer! Worst of all, he had to pretend he enjoyed training with dear aunt Bella. He couldn't deny the leaps it made in terms of his ability as a wizard, but Merlin if he didn't imagine Avada-ing the barmy old bat at least once. He was thankful for being a skilled Occlumens.

This was all his father's fault, the arrogant bastard. Draco's dislike of Lucius turned into intense hate that night at the Astronomy Tower, with his skin grey and wand pointed at Albus Dumbledore. It all happened in a blur. He blinked once and professor Snape was casting a spell, twice and the Headmaster was falling off the tower, thrice and he was being dragged away through the collar of his robes. Draco couldn't remember a fourth time with the amount of Crucios he received. It might've been weeks, but the House-elf that brought him food everyday refused to speak. He did know, at least, that he wasn't being kept in any of the dungeons inside Malfoy Manor.

Clarity came in the form of his mother, an angel cloaked in black dragging him out of hell. He was barely coherent when Narcissa brought him into a modest house, placing a kiss and a prayer on his forehead, then leaving. Six days passed when Draco regained consciousness. The first thing he noticed was how dry his mouth was, then the great pounding in his head. His eyes fluttered multiple times, brain registering bits and pieces of the room that he was in. There was a beige ceiling above him, with white walls all around and a lone window to his right. Attached to the wall in front of him was two long planks of wood to make for a dreary bookshelf. Draco was halfway into sitting up when tiny, painful spasms assaulted his back. He hissed and breathed in and out through his nose.

"Ah, good. You're awake." A masculine voice suddenly said.

Draco's neck whipped to the man sitting in front of him. He was a big-bellied fellow, fair hair and dark eyes accompanied a normal-looking nose. He was a stranger, with an aura about him that didn't sit well with Draco.

He gulped and with gritted teeth he replied, "Yes. Good."

The man glanced at his throat for a moment, noting the raspy voice that came out. He dog-eared the page he was reading then closed the book. Monster. "Do you know where you are?"

"Not in hell, unfortunately." Was Draco's swift reply which caused the man to laugh heartily. Crow's feet appeared near his eyes.

Taking advantage that he was distracted, Draco zeroed in on the wand in the man's pocket. The handle was poking out, showing a portion of etched, circling vines. It was obviously not Draco's wand, which he mentally cursed at. He must've stared too long because the man cleared his throat.

"Yours is hidden in a secure place," he said, the teenager tensed up. "my wife doesn't trust you."

Draco's nostrils flared at the statement, he started flexing his thigh muscles in case he needed to jump at the man. His heart was beating a mile a minute, thinking of who the man might be and why he was watching over Draco. He was clenching his teeth too hard that it started to tingle. But he remembered that his mother brought him here, the memory was dark and blurry but it was there. Surely she wouldn't entrust his only son to enemies? He relaxed a bit.

"Who are you? Where is my mother? And where is this place?" He asked, pushing down on his anger in exchange for information.

But like a summer breeze, sleep was upon him and enticing him to lay down. The man must've casted a charm on him as he was standing up. Draco wasn't sure whether to be happy or mad. Slowly, he was lowering himself down the bed. The man took a few steps, clasped both hands behind his back then leaned over Draco's form.

"My name is Ted Tonks."

Draco fell asleep.

~

Am I stretching out this story too far? 😕 also, I know none of this happened in the book/movies so I'm officially tagging this fic a post-hbp au.

Please vote, comment, and share if you like this! Thank you ♥️