Chapter 14

The lights faded back on, and his dead body faded into the light.

"Right after Pauline saved him!? Really?" Boo rolled his eyes. "Talk about a waste..."

Donkey Kong's large body was splayed out on the floor, blood trailing from his wound. He was fully dead, his eyes already closed and his body was completely limp.

"This...This is awful," Rosalina whispered, thinking of everyone they had lost. "I can't...See any of us...here doing such a thing..."

"...Isn't it obvious?" Toad laughed bitterly, thinking of all the people he'd unwillingly lost. "One of us is a dirty liar. I doubt it's Rosalina or Luigi, Boo is a veteran... I'm innocent. The only plausible option is Bowser."

"Oh, really? Why are you all so innocent?" Bowser fired back, confused as to why Toad had naturally cleared their names and not his. "What have they done?"

"Wh-Whoa," Toad didn't want to start a confrontation, but apparently there was no other course of action. Rosalina and Luigi were watching passively from the sideline while Boo cackled in the corner. Grimacing, Toad began to explain himself. "You picked up a gun and shot an innocent. Would any other person do that?"

"It was so that we could all survive," Bowser looked down in shame. There was blood on his hands, he wouldn't come out of this as pure as snow. He had taken action, and now he had to live with the guilt of killing someone innocent. "I'm sorry..."

"Yoshi didn't deserve to die," Toad shook his head mournfully. He dropped the conversation, so the five of them just stood
in utter silence for a moment.

"...Do you think the mafia is even among us anymore?" Luigi questioned out of nowhere, turning the attention onto himself immediately.

"What?"

"W-What if they're just pretending someone is among us? What if Kaira is just pulling the strings, pretending that there are traitors among us?" Luigi was beginning to work himself into a fit as multiple scenarios filled his mind. "What if the people who were considered the mafia beforehand were actually innocent, and Kaira just put all the blame on them!?"

"...They weren't innocent," Rosalina spoke, her crystal clear eyes gazing at Luigi. "I should know...Waluigi...He...He really wanted all of us dead...B-Besides me."

"...He really liked you," Luigi mused. "But anyways...How-"

"He confessed...He admitted to being part...of the mafia."

"So did Koopa," Boo told them. "Those two were definitely part of the mafia. It's pretty safe to assume that whoever our culprit is, is following the same pattern."

"B-B-But...How could one of us be the mafia!?" Luigi was shaking, terrified and confused. He couldn't imagine anyone around him as a murderer. Bowser had his rough edges, but he wouldn't want to kill. He couldn't imagine Rosalina killing, nor could he picture Toad. If Boo wasn't confirmed, Luigi would have though it was Boo.

Luigi had never made it far enough in order to experience the true terror of the mafia.

"I can't...even bring myself to be surprised anymore," Rosalina admitted sadly. "I...I..made it the first time... The second time... I would have lived if...Daisy hadn't...killed me. Now, I'm almost here...again..."

"Huh...Yeah, you're right..." Boo suddenly said distantly. "Why have you lived so much?"

"M-Maybe because she's not from here?" Luigi tried to provide a legitimate answer.

"Or maybe...Or maybe it's because she's conspiring against us?" Boo surmised, actually sounding somewhat serious for once. "You never know."

"B-But... I would never..."

"Rosalina..." Toad shook his head. "I don't want to believe that. But..."

"...The mafia could very...easily be Toad..." Rosalina frowned, deflecting the attention from herself.

"...Straight up, it's Luigi," Bowser said simply.

"YOU'VE WANTED MY BROTHER DEAD FOR AGES, YOU PROBABLY KILLED HIM YOURSELF!" Luigi shot back, yelling for the first time in a long time.

"Alright, settle the hell down," Boo rolled his eyes, annoyed from the commotion. He began to float over towards the table, going to sit in his seat. "We're going to figure this out, but we can only figure it out if we all remain calm-"

As he pulled the chair out, a bucket of water fell and landed straight on him. The lights suddenly focused right on Boo as he howled in pain.

Boo melted right in front of them.

hey everyone! lol i'm so cheery after a death haha... rip tho i love boo not even kidding

who's the mafia?

only a couple chapters left... quick ride this one was.

thanks for reading!