The First Kindness

My name is Rain. I am what some would call a monster, freak, or a heretic. I have been around for ages and ages. I am that shadow you see in the doorway, right as you fall asleep. I am your guardian angel who watches as you die. Maybe not physically, but my shadows see all of these things. I was born in what is now called Sweden, or as the invaders called it, Viken. I was born in my beliefs, brought up to be unwavering. The invaders came from England, as they called it. They had strange customs. One of them happened to be conquering and forcing others to their "true religion". Our leader chose to give in to their religion so we could keep our land. I did not. I was burned for what I did, for staying true to myself. All throughout the years, I was seen as an outsider. I eventually gave up on trying to be on the inside. I have the power to control shadows, both mine and others. They always think I am either the son of Lucifer or a prophet. I am neither, I am a monster. I eventually found a home for monsters. With the ever-so-popular Slenderman. I was being hunted by people in some woods. The trees helped me blend in. I melted into a redwood's shadow when I got out of their site. I could hear them screaming in their gazelle-like language. They eventually left, thinking that I was gone. 

I melted out of the shadows and materialized a wicked little gravity knife out of shadows. It was a design from the Philippines that I really liked. Before I could slit the throat of someone that was starting to fall behind, the tree-like Slenderman put his hand on my shoulder. I lashed out, but only hit the trunk of another tree. It attracted the attention of the lingerer. I quickly glanced over at the fat, sweaty man. He held a tiny but wicked little blade. I covered myself in shadows to confuse him. Once I got close, I shoved my knife through his eye, then materialized a sickle in my left hand, and brought it down onto his throat. It was not as good as a scythe, but it was good enough to take his head off. May Wodin have mercy on his soul. 

"Nicely done, I think I have a good place for you," the tall man said to me, his head just barely visible from behind a tree.

"Show yourself, tall man," I said to the figure. 

"Sorry, it is an old habit," he said in a rich voice, although he had no mouth. I backed off, not sure what to do. I materialized my trusty scythe and got ready to run. I could feel some weird evil energy I haven't felt in a while. 

"No need to be in such a rush, let me get my proposition out before you kill me," he began, "My name is Slenderman, I want you to come live with me and other monsters, in exchange, you will train the others, but you will be at home." He seems trustworthy, but  I can not be sure. I have never heard anyone speak kind words.

"How do I know this is true?" I asked. He did what I could only guess what was a laugh. They, I felt an energy that was worse than those invaders had.

"Because you would've been dead if I didn't want you," he said with an almost snarl. Even if this is fake, I can just run. I have gotten very used to it. I will see what he has to offer as a "home".

"Lead the way, Slenderman," I said warily.

--At the Mansion--

The home looked surprisingly well-kept. I saw others moving towards the window as we walked up. Everyone came out to greet us. They were all talking in the language of the invaders. That disgusting, hateful language. I cursed them in my ancestors' tongue, and they all got angry. Slenderman looked at me in an "angry" look. They could tell I said something bad, but they did not know what. Or maybe it was the man's look that gave it away. 

"Do not worry Rain, they are not the 'invaders' that hurt you, " he said. "You will have to learn it though, so you can speak, understand?" he said to me with that stern look. I nodded in obedience. Why must everyone speak that hateful language? He began to walk towards the door and everyone watched me as I followed him. Are they scared or confused? Either way, I will savour that look. I walked through the grand doors and saw that Victorian style I know and hate. I looked around the main hall and saw a huge light thing on the ceiling. I saw a big couch in front of a strange box. I followed Slenderman up the stairs down a dark hallway. All the doors were personalized. He stopped in front of one on the left side.

"This is your room, I customized it," he said, then left. I opened the door and went inside.

The room was decorated like my old home. A fire in the centre and pelts along the wall. There was a small cot in the corner for sleeping. There was an altar in the other corner. There was only a cut in the wall for light. I began to cry. I remembered the great times playing with the others and the days of worship and training. I fell to the floor. My shadows wrapped around me to comfort me, then I felt another set of hands on me. 

"Hi, I'm Liu," he said in my language. had Slenderman taught him? Or did he do it just for me?