xxxvi. thirty-six

Sophie fought a wave of déjà vu as her body reformed in front of the looming hideout. She'd never seen the outside of it before, but she was familiar with the area. She had to keep reminding herself that she wasn't in any danger with the Black Swan.

The hideout was located in a lush, bright forest glowing with light. It must have been night outside last time she was here, because the scene would've been impossible to forget. Everything gave off an aura of peace and life.

Even the forest seemed magical. All of the trees didn't grow straight up like normal—nor did they grow at an odd angle like the trees of the Crooked Forest. These trees had branches that grew like normal, but then would curve downward. Or maybe they grew out straight for a long then abruptly curve in an arc. It was all beautiful, like an intricate, natural pattern.

The leaves looked a shade brighter than normal leaves. The colour of spring grass, or emeralds. Every tree was peppered with light pink flowers. Sophie found it odd that she couldn't see a single petal on the forest floor.

The whole setting kind of reminded her of Alluveterre, but nothing could top the vibrant location of the old Black Swan hideout.

Plus, this hideout wasn't a treehouse, either. It was more like a collection of natural-coloured domes under the cover of the arching tree branches. As much as her body itched to go inside and have a better look, she forced herself to turn away from the entrance and head out into the forest.

She realized that as she walked, she took notice of landmarks or noticeable things that would help her get back; to not get lost. Her mouth quirked. She just couldn't get rid of the Neverseen training, could she?

After she'd walked so far that she couldn't see the hideout anymore, she found a low, curved tree branch to sit on. It was shaped like an bowed cradle, so she swung her legs up and leaned her back against one slope, crossing her arms over her stomach. She took deep breaths, trying to relax herself.

The forest air tasted fresher and more alive than anything she'd breathed in for a long time. She found her eyelids lowering and her neck muscles untensing.

In the forest, everything racing through her mind didn't seem so chaotic anymore. It was all easier to make sense of.

It was really nice.

"Nice, isn't it?"

Sophie's eyes shot open, although she didn't move from her position. Another thing she'd learned in the Neverseen. Act casual. Make your adversary think that they're not worth getting a reaction from you, but be on high alert to attack quickly. It had become second nature for her.

Flori was standing in front of her, hands folded, green thumbs interlocked, and a basket full of odd-looking plants at her feet.

Sophie didn't reply, just fixed her eyes on Calla's niece. She hadn't changed much since the last time Sophie had seen her. Her hair was in a braided plait interwoven with tiny green flowers.

Sophie looked down when the memory of Calla braiding her hair at night in Alluveterre resurfaced, come back to haunt her. She'd called the braid a 'tomorrow braid', and had sung and sat with Sophie when her worries got so bad they kept her up at night.

Flori lightly trod over to the tree Sophie was sitting on, not stepping on any of the tiny shrubs or plants growing on the forest floor. She sat down on a nearby branch, not uncomfortably close to Sophie, but still close enough that she could see tiny flecks on pollen dusted across Flori's green shirt.

"Something is troubling you." A tentative statement. Not a question, which Sophie was grateful for. And Flori's voice wasn't tentative in the way that made it seem like she was afraid of Sophie. More like she could tell something was plaguing Sophie, and she wanted to help, but wasn't sure what Sophie wanted.