Car Rides

"Hey, kiddo!", Barry said with enthusiasm.

"Hey, Dad.", I hadn't been very happy with this whole situation.

"Hop in and we'll go drop off the kid."

"Mkay, but ya better make it snappy.", I said clapping my hand sarcastically.

"Of course", Barry said with a British accent.

I opened the door for Darla and she hopped in the back seat. I sat in the front, you know....like a big kid. It was a five minute drive, but someone had to make conversation.

"So, Darla, how's school going?", Barry said in the fakest of fake dad voice.

"It's going great Mr. Allen! I'm getting all straight A's and I'm really good at math.", She said with the biggest smile on her face.

"Wish I could say the same for Y/N over here.", Barry said chuckling and nudging my arm.

"Hey! I got a C+ one time! And it was in (least favorite subject that you don't think matters), so does it even matter?"

"Education is education. No matter how much you dislike it."

"I agree Mr. Allen. You sure are a wise man!", There is no way that this kid isn't faking.

"Darla, how could you betray me?!" Kids, am I right?

"What? It's the truth." After finishing her sentence she gave a little shoulder shrug. We had all shared a laugh. The car came to an abrupt stop.

"It was nice meeting you, Darla!", Barry said as Darla and I exited the car.

"It was nice meeting you, Mr. Allen! Thank you for the ride!", Darla said as we walked up the driveway, "You're welcome! Have a good night!". Darla and I slowly approached the front door, it had swung open to reveal a familiar face.