II: Boarding the RMS Empress of Russia

Tuesday 21st November 1916
Ajax, Toronto, Canada
NARRATOR'S POV
We're now boarding the Empress of Russia to make our way to Nord-Pas-de-Calais where we'll be arriving on 30th November as I previously mentioned, I have managed to get tickets for the both of us for this week long voyage they cost C$159.78 (£48.78) altogether. Because we're in the middle of a war I am excited to be going to another country, but I'm concerned for the both of us since we're going to be entering a war zone in a week's time. Since Deryck's conscription three days ago, I've been mentally preparing myself for the inevitable which I wouldn't be surprised about because we are at war with Germany. Since boarding the Empress of Russia I have discovered that there is also other Corps troops heading to France, along with our friends Dave and Jay who have also been called up and have enlisted to take part in the war effort so they're onboard the ship too, heading to the same location as we are.

THURSDAY 30th NOVEMBER 1916, A WEEK LATER...

We've now arrived in Nord-Pas-de-Calais where the Battle of Vimy Ridge will be taking place in four months and eight days. Now that we've docked at Dunkirk Harbour, we have to find the headquarters for the Canadian Corps which I'm guessing would be situated somewhere near the frontline at the Ridge, where the infantry troops will be fighting pretty soon. Within the Canadian Corps there are four divisions and many different battalions, so for Deryck, Dave and Jay they're in the Toronto Regiment, 3rd Battalion which is one of the battalions within their division. After locating and arriving at the Corps headquarters, the senior officer of the 4th Division Major-General David Watson approaches the four of us and introduces himself to us, he then starts to give us all a tour of the headquarters.

I don't think he's took any notice of why I'm here yet, I know that women are allowed to be here if they're a nurse but I'm not, so why Watson hasn't took any acknowledgement to that fact I don't know

I don't think he's took any notice of why I'm here yet, I know that women are allowed to be here if they're a nurse but I'm not, so why Watson hasn't took any acknowledgement to that fact I don't know. With the upcoming battle arriving in four months time, Deryck, Dave and Jay will have to train for the battle ahead along with the other troops which will take some time. Whilst the guys are off training for the battle, I don't know what I'll be getting up to for four months and of course during the battle itself, perhaps I could maybe help out at one of the medical tents or something.