Talking To The Moon

Tw: Death, grieving, swears.

Word count: 1970

Dan never really believed in ghosts. Never had a reason to. Well up until recently.

Dan was in his room sitting on his windowsill looking outside at the moon. He sighs but looks at it once more and begins speaking.

"Hey Phil. Um.." he scratches the back of his neck. "I just wanted to check in, tell you how my day was and everything."

He leans his head back.

"I'm just gonna say it wasnt that great. I mean but that's just the normal every day for me, right??"

Tears drops start to form in his eyes.

"Theres not a day that goes by that I dont think of you, ya know.."

One tear drops. Two.. three...

"I miss you. I'll be down at the store or something and I'll be getting something and it'll remind me of you and I have to try not to cry in the middle of everyone."

There was almost an essence growing in the room now. It's like it grew with the more he spoke.

"But I wanted to tell you that I am seeing a therapist to.. help. So I guess you dont have to worry about me as much."

The essence almost filled the room now. But it wasnt bad. In fact it felt... familiar in a way. And Dan could sense it.

"I hope you're ok wherever you are. Nothing stressing you out too much--"

There was a hand on his shoulder. He turns in surprise to look behind him. Nothing. The essence fades a bit as if something backed away from him.

He cautiously turns back to the window.

"I should get to bed. It's quite late. But I love you. If you know anything know that.."

He slides off his corner and crawls under his covers.

---

He wakes up. Eats breakfast. Goes out. It's the same routine. Hes sick of it. Ever since the accident, he's put himself in this endless circle of days. Hes got to get out of this loop.

It's 5:00 pm. Time to go to his therapist.

"Just a part of the routine.." Dan mumbles to himself before grabbing his coat and heading out the door.

---

"I swear to god, Dr. Ligouri, something touched me last night. I-I think it was him--"

"Dan we've been over this."

"Please, Dr. Ligouri, I know how it sounds. Just listen to me ok??.."

The therapist gives him a look but leans back in his chair and adjusts his glasses.

"Alright. Go ahead."

Dan sighs. "So last night I was talking to--... somebody.. and all of a sudden a hand touched my shoulder."

Confused, Dr. Ligouri looks up from his notepad.

"Talking to who, Dan??"

Dan, knowing he would ask, bows his head with a huff.

"I only ask because if I know anything about paranormal spirits then they won't touch you for no good reason." He turns back to his notepad in fear he said something wrong.

"I know. I know.." he avoids looking at the other like a child in fear of getting in trouble. "I was talking to Phil.."

"Dan, we've talked about this. Speaking to him as if hes still here can be a bad thing."