Chapter 4

Pitch purred as he batted at the last of the lizards. The tiny reptile inflated a red sack in its throat in a pathetic attempt to scare off its attacker before a paw lashed out yet again.

"Cut that out, Pitch," said Taylor's dad. "I think it's learned its lesson."

"Stay focused, Malcolm." Taylor's mom had that look on her face, the one that could make anyone feel like they had snakes squirming in their stomach. Taylor shrank under her gaze. "What were you thinking, honey?"

After receiving a pointed nudge, her dad said, "It's dangerous to stir up wildlife like that. There's no telling what they'll do when you bring a buffet straight to them." His eyes softened. "Seriously, you could've gotten hurt."

Taylor cast her eyes to her shoes. "Sorry. I just wanted to get rid of these stupid flies."

Her dad chuckled. "Trust me, you can't get rid of companions even if they pee in your shoes right before you need to go out and..." he trailed off as his wife glared at him. "They can be a pain in the butt sometimes, but I promise they're worth giving a chance. I mean sheesh, look at Pitch. That sassy stinker is actually super good at pest control."

Butterflies mingled with the flies as if the brightly colored swarm was trying to hug its darker counterpart. "Did something happen at school?" her mom asked.

"A bunch of people were really mean to me, and someone put trash in my backpack." Taylor sniffed as tears threatened to fall. "Jack said my flies are going to make people hate Eliza too."

"That boy has always been a piece of work," her dad said. "A real pig if there ever was one. Don't let him bother you."

"What did Eliza have to say about this?" Her mother offered her a tissue, which Taylor accepted gratefully. "She's only had her companions for a little while too, hasn't she?"

Taylor cracked a smile. "She told Jack off, like she always does." Her voice wavered as she went on. "She doesn't like the flies either though. She thinks they're not good enough for me."

Her mom gave her a tight hug. "I'm going to tell you something my mom told me. It's not what your companions are that matters; it's what you do with them."

"That's easy for you to say. Your butterflies are super pretty."

A black and yellow swallowtail did a summersault, basking in the compliment. "I'm glad you think that, honey, but I didn't always like them. When I was your age, I wanted something big and strong like a bear. I thought butterflies were too delicate to do any good, but then I started gardening. They may not be strong, but butterflies sure know how to pollinate and help me grow all the fruit I could possibly eat."

"And you know how annoying cats can be," her dad said. "But without them, I never would have met your mom. I wish I didn't have to train each new one not to hunt her butterflies, but it's still worth it." Pitch purred as he received a nice, long head scratch.

Taylor looked from her parents' companions to her own. The countless black specks twitched their wings nervously as they lingered on the grape juice stain tattooed on her beanbag chair. "Thanks for trying to cheer me up, but all they seem to be good at is finding garbage." Her shoulders slumped. "Like me."

Worn out after torturing the lizard, Pitch leaped into Taylor's lap. He kneaded her legs before curling up and shutting his eyes. "Looks like someone thinks you're perfect," her dad said.

"You shouldn't feel bad about something you can't change," her mom said. "Besides, having companions of your own is part of growing up. It's not always easy, but it's definitely something to be proud of."

"Sorry I don't feel how I'm supposed to."

"No need to be sorry," her mom said. "Even good changes can be tough to get used to."

"How'd you like to go to Aunt May's this weekend?" her dad said. "I heard she's planning to try out her new barbecue. Maybe that'll get your mind off everything that's bugging you."

"Dad!"

"Sorry, couldn't resist the pun. Usually the cat's got my tongue."

Pitch cracked an eye open and hissed before drifting off again.

They all laughed. "Even your cat thinks your puns are terrible!" Taylor's mom said.

"Hey, they lightened the mood a little, didn't they? So Taylor, what do you think?"

A great big smile bloomed across her face, only to shrink moments later. "Eliza and I were going to catch bluegill this weekend."

"Invite her to come then! I bet you two could catch all sorts of fish at the creek while we're cooking."

"Sounds like a blast!" In that moment, Taylor forgot about the flies circling her. All she could think about was a weekend full of her aunt's famous Andouille and the sun warming her back as she fished with her best friend.