Signals

It had been a little over a week since Aziraphale and Crowley had shared their first kiss. Aziraphale's bruises had healed perfectly from his face (he suspected that Crowley had performed a little miracle but he wasn't complaining) and he was starting to feel more able.

As happy as Crowley was at the sight of him getting better, there was a tiny part of him - the really dark part- that didn't want Aziraphale to heal. Aziraphale healing meant that he would soon go home and Crowley would be alone again. He hadn't realised just how lonely he felt before having someone else in the house. Aziraphale was the polar opposite of him, he was a literal angel, but Crowley genuinely enjoyed having him around. They did things completely differently and that meant that everything worked in harmony; Aziraphale was messy, soft to the touch, and was a total foodie;  Crowley was clinical-level-clean, rough (both emotionally and physically...), and was a Grade A wine connoisseur. Crowley loved how he would go out to buy alcohol and come home to the smell of homemade pies and stews, how he would wander into the living room/'the angels room' and lay his eyes on Aziraphale all curled up under numerous pillows, tea in hand and his nose buried deep in a book. It just felt homely. Crowley felt himself cringe - did he really just think of the word homely? To be honest he didn't really care he just knew that he had to work out a way to get Aziraphale to stay...he wasn't sure he could handle him leaving.

As for Aziraphale...well the angel was feeling pretty at home. Yes Crowley's house was dark and terrifying and definitely haunted, but Crowley's home had Crowley in it. Anything that included Crowley was fine by him. Aziraphale actually liked cooking in there (Crowley had a vast selection of ancient spices that Aziraphale had run out of decades ago) and there were hundreds of books that he had never read just sitting there, tempting him. He hadn't truly realised just how much he had enjoyed being around Crowley. They sort of bounced off each other and Aziraphale knew the reason why - on his side at least - but he was scared. He was getting better (Thank GOD), but getting better meant going home, he did miss his bookshop but he was sure he'd miss Crowley even more. He just didn't want to stay past his welcome, he could think of nothing more mortifying that staying somewhere that you're not wanted...that was exactly how he felt being in Heaven.

Aziraphale was just pursuing this train of thought for the third time today when he heard a door slam shut. "Its fucking freezing out there!" Crowley yelled, his voice full of pure indignation-  almost as though he could hardly believe that the Earth had dared to be that cold. Aziraphale chuckled to himself and quickly flattened down his hair the best he could and tried to hide his chubby stomach under his large t-shirt. "Did you have a nice walk, dear?" Aziraphale suppressed a smile as he tuned around to face Crowley who had just walked in with a bright pink nose despite the fluffy scarf Aziraphale had forced upon him. The demon threw him a dirty look and pulled off the scarf, "Oh, haha" he said rolling his eyes and trying not to smile. Crowley placed a bag of croissants and a bottle of Aziraphale's favourite Merlot on the coffee table, and sat down next to him with a sigh. He flicked his hand at the fireplace and flames immediately heated up the room. Aziraphale waited for Crowley to get comfortable before taking his hand in his. His hands were always warm, Crowley's were always cold. He began to rub his hands over Crowley's, warming them up and biting back a smile. He glanced up and saw that the demon had flushed a bright shade of pink. Crowley was staring directly at Aziraphale's face, his heart beating incredibly fast, his hands felt so warm in Aziraphale's. He noticed how his long boney hands were the perfect size and shape to cradle Aziraphale's small chubby ones. He longed to grab his hand and kiss it a million times over but he felt too shy, too frightened of his response (and those were two things Crowley had never felt). Aziraphale was concentrating hard, shifting his heat into Crowley's hands. Crowley loved how his nose was scrunched up in concentration, how his eyelashes fluttered with every breath that Crowley took. After a good quarter of an hour, long after Crowley's hands had warmed up, Aziraphale removed released them and lay his own in his lap. Their eyes connected for a minute and Crowley felt an understanding pass between them, like Aziraphale knew what he had to bring up.

"You seem to be getting better, angel" Crowley said slowly, staring into the fire. Aziraphale watched the flames mirrored in his eyes and was sure he saw a flicker of uncertainty. "Yes...all thanks to you, Crowley. If it wasn't for you I doubt I'd still be...well it would be very good at all" he felt his voice quicken at the thought of what could've happened. "I imagine that you'd wanna go home soon...I mean, your bookshop's been closed for a long time", Crowley could feel his voice breaking and swallowed hard to stop it betraying him. "Well, that's very kind of you but...are you sure that you're okay with being on your own?" Aziraphale reached for Crowley's arm but the demon stood up and moved closer to the fire, rubbing his face. Aziraphale allowed him time to collect himself and remove any evidence of tears. He wanted Crowley to tell him how much he loved him, how much he wanted him to stay and live with him forever. But he knew he'd have to be patient.

Crowley was rubbing his eyes and chugging from the wine bottle. He knew he'd have to wait though, he wasn't yet sure of how Aziraphale felt about him. He felt the angel stand up and come closer to him, gently prising the bottle from his hands and placing it down on the table again, "Crowley..." Aziraphale started but the demon cut him off. "Satan knows I've been on my own practically forever...but I can't decide that, it's up to you" he said with a sigh, running his hands through his hair. Aziraphale felt a flutter in his chest that he only got whenever Crowley did that. "Well, would you want me to stay?" he said quietly. Crowley's eyes snapped to his, locking themselves in place. "You know I would".
"No, I don't know Crowley...you never give off any signals", Aziraphale could feel the longing in his voice. He was practically showing Crowley how he felt now and he knew it. He wanted Crowley to tell him that he loved him. The demon blinked furiously at Aziraphale, he appeared to grow several inches and the fire seemed to be more alive in his amber eyes than ever before. "Signals? Fucking Hell Aziraphale...I haven't given you any signals? What do you think I've been doing all this time?! Fine I'll tell you loud and clear exactly how I feel about you...".

☆Hey guys!!!! Its been a while, I know. I tried to do an extra long chapter especially. Schools just been a lot recently ૮₍ ˃ ⤙ ˂ ₎ა
Thanks for over 1.6K reads!!!! It is genuinely amazing. This story is nearly done and I have an original story that I might publish afterwards...if you're all interested (I doubt you are but hey, you did come here for Good Omens wholesomeness 🌻)
I'll be back again next week...or maybe a bit longer :P Love you all and have a lovely day!!! ☆