Prologue II

Something in the Mist

Prologue II

"Tell me again what you want her for?"

It had been three days since my escape from the bunkers. When we had reached the surface of Earth, I had waited until the leader had been whisked away from the docking station, then I had emerged from my corner. I didn't truly remember what the surface looked like, but it certainly didn't look like the sight I had seen. The was fog everywhere. I couldn't take more than two steps at a time without tripping on something I hadn't been able to see. I felt my way to a railing and continued forward from there.

I could hear people around me at the docking platform, though. The whir of engines of submarines and starships muddled my brain, and I didn't realize where I was going until I had collided with someone—really, the cart he pushed, knocking the two of us to the ground.

"I'm sorry," I had said, helping him lift the crate back onto the lift.

"It's no trouble," he replied, straightening his uniform. The Covenant symbol was stitched onto his shirt. "You're not used to all the mist, are you?"

I shook my head. "This is my first time back here since..." I paused to think of a story. "Well, since we left for the skies, almost fifteen years ago. My family died in an accidental explosion, and I got on a ship thinking it would take me to Vera—“ one of the planets humanity had discovered—“But I ended up here. I guess I should try to get to Solstice-3 now."

"We can take you there," he said, motioning for me to follow him as he walked. "We were just dropping some supplies off here. Weren't meant to take on passengers, but I can make an exception for someone in need."

"I couldn't ask you to go against any regulations—“

"We're always happy to help. You know what they say. 'The Covenant is for the people.'"

"That's very kind of you."

"It won't be any trouble." He pointed to a ramp, leading up to what I assumed was a starship, but I couldn't see it. "We leave in the next hour."

"Thank you." I followed him as he pushed his cart up the ramp.

When we boarded, he turned into the cargo hold, but called back to me. "Passenger's quarters are just to your right.”

I looked to find a small room with a cot and a side table. I sat down on the hard mattress and set my bag on the floor at my feet.

A little while later, the man stuck his head in my room. “I’m Asher, if you need anything. I’ll try to bring you some food later this evening, but I don’t get off shift until after nine.”

“That’s fine,” I replied.

“We’re about to take off,” he said. “There’s an observation room two decks up.”

I nodded as the ship began to quiver, and he left the room, shouting orders at other crew members.

I slipped through the door and found a ladder, climbing two stories to a floor with lots of activity. I stayed towards the metal walls and slid my way forward to a door labeled “observation deck.” I cracked the door open and peered in; the room was empty. I slipped inside.

We were only moving forward at that point, navigating through the other ships surrounding us at the docking platform. There was still fog surrounding us, blowing against the glass as we gained speed. We hovered over the ocean for a moment before I heard the launchers kick in, and a spray of sea foam covered the windows as we propelled upward. The water was burned off soon enough, though.