Prologue

"How is she still defying us?"

"Itachi's doing everything he can, but we've majorly underestimated her willpower."

"She's developed a tongue like Hidan. Dealing with her isn't what I would call pleasant."

"Oh, cut the crap Kisame. You always ask to be the one feeding her."

"Deidara, Kisame, enough. Does anyone have an actual solution to this?"

"We could kill someone she cares about, not just in a genjutsu."

"And how will we do that? Kisame and Itachi were unable to stop the two Konoha teams that are approaching."

"We couldn't use our full strength with those puppets."

"Deidara and I will be able to defeat them when they get here."

"Once you do, show her their corpses. Hopefully then she'll give up."

*#*#*#*

Naruto glanced back at his old sensei as they leapt through the trees. The news had hit hard when Tsunade told him of Hikari's kidnapping. It explained how distant Kakashi seemed to be.

Kakashi was still himself. It wasn't like he had changed a huge amount. He just seemed harder to connect with, like a constant sadness was lingering over him. And one was. Naruto could see that.

Two years, and Kakashi was still in pain. He'd grown to live with in, carry out his life despite it. But with the fact they were facing the Akatsuki, the people who stole the girl he loved, the pain seemed that much worse.

"Ne, Kakashi-sensei, are you okay?" Sakura's voice snapped Naruto from his thoughts, and he looked straight ahead once more. He needed to keep focused. They were here to stop the Akatsuki from taking someone else dear to them.

They had to save Gaara. That's why they were here.

But unknown to them, the same place as where Gaara's one-tailed beast was being extracted, a blonde woman lay on a cell floor, alone, shivering in the damp cold.

Welcome to book 2 of the Katanashi series! We're kicking it off two years after Hikari's kidnapping, with Team Kakashi rescuing Gaara! If you read through my other book and enjoyed it enough to read the sequel, thank you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and feelings in the comments, and if you like a chapter, smash the vote button so I know I'm on the right track!

Wow, I sound like a Youtuber with all that. But either way! Enjoy the book!