𝖎𝖎. River Flows In You

C h a p t e r t w o . . .

The clear, crystal waves of Glasswater river softly meandered beneath the boat, carrying them on their travels

The clear, crystal waves of Glasswater river softly meandered beneath the boat, carrying them on their travels. The water eddyed and flowed as Malina gently brushed her fingertips over the surface, making single droplets fly in all directions, in the same way sparks fly off of a warm fire.

The thought of a fire reminded Malina of a memory from her childhood.

She had been around six years old at the time and had had a dreadful nightmare plaguing her mind, which left her distressed and unable to rest. She had traipsed down the corridor to her brother's room and carefully pushed open his door, before sheepishly peering round the corner.

Of course Caspian being Caspian (despite only being twelve himself at the time), he had welcomed her in with a hug and invited her to sleep in his room, even giving her his bed, leaving him sleeping on the hard, wooden floor. He had told her a story to help her drift off into slumber, to be greeted by sweet dreams of wonder and magic, rather than darkness and disaster.

As she listened to his tale, she remembered there had been an amber, crackling log fire constantly burning in the fireplace, further enhancing her drowsiness and drawing her to sleep. She did fall asleep in the end to a glorious dream of a time in Narnia long gone.

Malina tried to remove the memory from her mind; she didn't want to think about her brother. She had no idea where Caspian was or if he was still even alive. If the Telmarines had gotten to her, they would have surely captured him and therefore probably killed him.

Her mind plunged into a whole series of 'what if's', as she thought about what could have happened to him. She was snapped out of it as a hand brushed hers on the lake surface. She followed the hand up the arm to the face and saw Edmund smiling at her.

"Are you alright?" he enquired, concerned.

She let out a sigh and tried to calm herself. "It's my brother. I miss him, that's all."

"Malina, it's perfectly understandable to be upset. I mean take Peter for example; he's an idiot and he yells at me all the time, but if I lost him I'd be heartbroken. Same goes for Sue - she's a know-it-all, but I love her."

Malina smiled (now slightly cheered up) at Edmund and he grinned back at her. Meanwhile, Susan rolled her eyes and Peter (whose face had flushed unflatteringly red) shouted something at Edmund about his lack of manners.

Edmund leaned in close to the girl and pressed his mouth against her ear, causing her brunette locks to brush against and tickle her cheek. A smile rose to her lips, which she tried (unsuccessfully) to suppress. She could sense from the movement of his lips that Edmund was also now smiling. He gently whispered, "This is what I meant about the yelling."