FOURTY - FOUR: The Serum

Maisie woke up in a brightly lit laboratory. Her wrists and ankles were restrained to a cold metal table, which didn't affect her at all.

"Hello?! Is anybody there?!" She yelled. There was no answer. She could sense that something wasn't right immediately. She didn't know what, though.

"You're awake. Good," Kingpin said as he entered the cramped lab. Maisie turned toward the sound of his voice.

"Where am I? Where's my dad?" Maisie questioned.

"You're in one of the many laboratories inside Oscorp. I'm ashamed, really. You're the daughter of the most infamous serial killer in history, and I didn't recognize you," Kingpin admitted.

"He ain't my dad," Maisie responded.

"Do you know why he tried so hard to kill you? Why he couldn't resist the idea of shooting you through the head, even though you helped him?" Kingpin questioned.

"Lemme go. I don't care! It don't matter anymore 'cause I killed him!" Maisie answered. "And I'd never help someone like him!"

"Your mother believed you would be the one to end him. I guess, even in death, she was right. Anyway, I want you to meet Norman Osborne," Kingpin requested, gesturing toward Green Goblin. "He's been working on a serum to take away the powers of mutants, so it's lucky we found one so quickly."

"What're ya talking about? I ain't a mutant! I'm human!" Maisie shouted.

"Hardly. Have you ever wondered why your remaining senses are so strong? Even people who have heightened senses to make up for a disability aren't that strong. If this serum works, we can take away the abilities of all mutants. The world will be so grateful, they'll bow to us and do whatever we say," Kingpin explained.

"But, I ain't a mutant! I'd know if I was!" Maisie exclaimed.

"It must not have triggered yet," Green Goblin suggested.

"That's perfect. That means there'll be no resistance," Kingpin explained.

"The serum might not work if the powers have not triggered..." Green Goblin admitted.

"Then, we'll have to trigger them," Kingpin ordered.

"Leave me alone!" Maisie yelled. As Green Goblin stood over her and bent to administer the serum, Maisie head butted him, causing him to screech and fall backwards. Maisie then realized that the restraints had somehow been broken, and took the opportunity to jump up and run out of the room, sliding underneath Kingpin when he attempted to grab her. "That was lucky! I'm bustin' outta here!" Maisie admitted as she starting running up the stairs, since the elevator was being used.