What Are We?

“No need to thank me, just don't tag my house and were good.” Shiro says jokingly.

“I won’t, unless I mean, if you turn out to be a dick I might tag part of your house.” Keith says grabbing Shiro closer.

“Remind me not to annoy you then.” Shiro says causing both of them to laugh.

Keith and Shiro get into the car and start driving. Keith sat quietly listening to the  music, feeling awkward, not knowing what to say. “Hey, Keith, are you ok. You seem quieter than normal.” Shiro asks looking over quickly at Keith.

“I’m fine, I just don't really know what to talk about.” Keith says sitting up straighter in his seat.

“Well, you don't really know much about me, I mean at least compared to what I know about you.” Shiro says looking over at Keith, who was still looking down at his hands.

Well, ya, I know, but I don't know what you do and don't like to talk about, and I don't want to over step.”Keith says fiddling with his fingers.

“What's up with you, what's changed form the mean spirited, cunning, and bratty boy smirked when I put you in cuffs. If I don't feel comfortable with a question, I will tell you.  So ask away.” Shiro says smiling at Keith.

“Oh, um...can I ask you why you’ve been so nice to me? I mean on the first night you didn't let me stay in the county jail, and you even took care of me throughout the day and in the morning. I just mean you don't know me all that well, and I spend some of my free time disgracing cops, and I’m a criminal.” keith says speaking mostly with his hands and trying not to yell too loud.

“Woah, Keith, I know about your past, and I don't care about your art. I do admit that it was good, but very disgraceful. Now, the reason im so nice to you is because I don't believe in judging a book by it’s cover and I wanted to get to know you a little. I just mean you can't be just some bad boy tagger who hates cops for no reason. I just guess that some part of me wants to, well...protect you.” Shiro says awkwardly.

“I-I don't need your protection, i've been by myself for almost 13 years, I don't need anyone.”

“I never said you did, I said I did. I am like a protector, and that means that I do want to help take care of you. So, you can be your independent strong self, and im fine with that, but I still, at least want to be a friend to you.” Shiro says grabbing Keith’s hand, and rubbing his thumb over the top of it.

Keith looked at Shiro, and blushed slightly ‘God damn it Shiro, you cant keep saying shit like that or I might just fucking kiss you.’ Keith thinks looking away from Shiro and trying to calm down. “Th-Thank you.” Keith mumbles quietly, but just loud enough for Shiro to hear. 

"Don't thank me." Shiro says smiling at Keith.

"Um...Shiro how far is the restaurant?" Keith asks looking around At the passing shops and restaurants. 

"It is right up here." Shiro says turning onto a crowded parking lot. 

"There a lot of people here!?" Keith says confused looking at the rather large restaurant. 

"Well, this place is supposed to be really good, so I hope you like meat." Shiro says innocently.

"Oh, I like meat." Keith says smirking at Shiro.

"And there is the ,Keith ,I met." Shiro says smiling at Keith and pulling into one of the empty spots. Shiro put the car in park and turned off the ignition, before he turned over to look at Keith.  “You’ve got the battle bit of lipstick smudged, probably from when you yelling.” Shio says reaching his hand over and whipping away the small smudge.

“Oh, where else do I have lip stick?” Keith says crawling closer to Shiro. 

Shiro blushes a light red, seeing A smirk grow of Keith’s lips, Shiro takes that as a challenge.”Depends where else you want my lipstick on you.” Shiro says pulling keith closer, wrapping his arm around Keith’s waist. 

“I let you know after we talk at dinner.” Keith says cupping Shiro’s face. Keith then lets go of Shiro and the both step out of the car. When they walk into the restaurant a few people looked at them, but Shir stepped slightly closer to him, and walked up to the front desk. “We have reservation, under Takashi.” Shiro says putting his arm around Keith’s shoulders. 

“Ah, Takashi please follow me.” The waitress says, sweetly smiling, and leading up to a booth in the middle of the restaurant. Keith slid into one side of the booth, and Shiro slid into the other side. When Keith picked up the menu, almost as a habit, he looked at the prices. He was glad at this moment that the menu covered his face because he was scared. He couldn't afford to pay for almost anything on there. He flipped through the menu and chose a small steak that came with two sides, and decided he would get water to drink. He put the menu down and looked back at Shiro.

“Do you know what your getting to eat?” Shiro asks still thumbing through the menu. 

“Um, the steak and salad.” Keith says looking down at his lap.”

“Oh.” Shiro says finding that on the menu. “That doesn't seem like a lot of food, are you sure you don't want anything else?” Shiro asks confused. 

Keith was pretty hungry, but the money he got from tattoos and performing barely paid for his small flat, art supplies, and food for the week. He had just enough left over, and he was going to get some nice canfaces to sell his work later on, but, now he  would just have to spend it for dinner. “I don’t need anything else.” Keith said smiling weakly and looking up at Shiro. 

Shiro looked back at Keith sadly, and then smiled softly. “I’m paying for this, it's my treat to you.” Shiro says placing his hand softly on Keith's right hand. 

“What? I can't ask you to do that. I can pay for my dinner, anyways we aren't even really dating so I can’t just ask you to pay for me.” Keith says drawing away his hands holding them to his and softly dulling his voice.

“Well, why dont you order your meal, and we can talk about us and becoming a couple.” Shiro says, a slight hesitancy in his voice. 

Keith looked at Shiro shyly, and sceptical, and then took another look at the menu not to concerned with the price, but still keeping it in the back of his head. Shiro chose a T-bone steak, and Keith got the barbecue steak tips which made his mouth water from just the thought of it. While they waited for their food to come Keith and Shiro started talking. 

“So, when you said to us becoming a couple, what are we right now. I mean we aren't friends with benefits, but we are more than friends. What do you  say we are?” Keith asks resting his elbows on the table.

“Well, I would think of us as friends questing a relationship. I completely get it if you don’t want to be in a relationship with me, but I would want to be in one with you if you would like to be in one with me. I know that this is rather early since we haven’t really known each other for all that long.” Shiro says explitaringly.

“Well, I mean I slept in your bed after only one night of knowing you, so I didn't think you were all to patient.” Keith says, causing both of them to laugh. 

“Ya, I guess that was moving pretty fast, but are you ok with us moving like this.” Shiro asks nervously.

Word count- 1,351