Chapter 20: Jagged Penny

****Just before the Akuma Attacks****

As his son left the room, Gabriel Agreste let out a ragged breath that he had been holding. He stood up and then tilted his head, oh so faintly, which was signal enough for Natalie to come follow him. Wordlessly they walked onto the tile on the floor. Once standing on the right spot, Gabriel pressed a different sequence of buttons that instead of heading towards the basement, sent the floor tile-- and them on it-- upward to the secret attic.

He had been too distracted by Adrien's blatant disrespect to continue with the Akuma attacks, even though it was obvious that Ladybug was vulnerable. He could sense Ladybug getting weaker every day, the fact that she hadn't used her miraculous ladybugs yet was clearly evidence of this. His plan to finally bring Ladybug and Chat Noir down was finally coming to fruition. The time to strike was now.

Now that his son was back to being his normal, manageable self, Gabriel was going to return his focus on finding his next Akuma minion. There in his lair, dozens of butterflies flew around. He took off his silk cravat and revealed his miraculous pin. "Dark wings rise," Gabriel said right before transforming into Hawk Moth. Beside him, Natalie got her miraculous out and summoned Dussu to transform her. He looked over to Mayura and finally spoke, "Perhaps I should find another minion like the last one. His emotions were so powerful. I know he could have brought them down. I could sense it."

"But didn't he offer up the most resistance?" Mayura said.

"Yes, that is true, Natalie. Perhaps we should just continue as we had before and exploit that loophole you found. You really are brilliant... Two minds, one heart. One Akuma. Remind me to give you a raise."

She nodded but didn't say anything. She lifted up a feather and it floated towards Hawk Moth. He, in turn, took two butterflies and merged it with the feather. Once the merged butterfly transformed into a dark Akuma, Hawk Moth smiled. Thanks to the Soulbreaker's havoc caused by the last Akuma attack, there were plenty of malcontent couples to choose from.

"I feel another couple with a strong bond but they are not on the same page when it comes to their relationship. One of them can't commit, and the other is too timid to speak up about what she truly wants. Today we shall put their ship to the test, and see if they can bring me what all the others have failed to do. Fly, my little akuma..." Hawk Moth said as it flew out the window.

The merged butterfly found a crying Penny, who stopped suddenly in the streets and then turned around. When she collided with Jagged Stone, who was running after her, they became two people dressed in rocker outfits fused at the hip.

"Jagged Penny." Hawk Moth used his augmented mask and called to them. "I give you the ability to send wicked rifts and I'll give you an even more powerful dragon than your first one. I will call him, Malfeasance."

"Hey, Fang is my most loyal and loveable pet. He made a great dragon last time," Jagged said in protest.

Hawkmoth ignored him. "In addition to having wicked rifts that can turn anyone into your fanatic fans and mindless servants, you will also have Troublemaker's ability to disappear and reappear as necessary. Penny, you were the closest to getting Ladybug's miraculous. With Jagged by your side, you can not fail me."

"Not without Fang," Jagged said.

Hawk Moth rolled his eyes. "Fine. You will have your Dragon, Fang. Mayura remind me never to get into the music business."

"I'll take care of it," Penny said.

"We won't fail you Hawk Moth," They both said simultaneously before jumping on the back of Fang, who was now a giant fire-breathing dragon.