02

CHAPTER TWORUN BOY RUNWARNING: death◦2005

CHAPTER TWO
RUN BOY RUN
WARNING: death

2005

The kids hop down the stairs and file into the dining room. A slightly younger looking Ramona jogs to stand behind her chair beside Five and Vanya, who sits at the end of the table. They wait in anticipation for Reginald to arrive.

Finally, he enters the the room. He walks over to his seat at the head of the table and pulls his chair out. "Sit!" He barks and the children obey.

Everyone digs into their food, each child doing their own little thing where Reginald can't see. Luther and Allison share a soft look, Diego carves something into the arm of his chair, Klaus rolls a joint, Ben reads a book, Ramona side-eyes Five and sends little pieces of his food into his lap with just a glance, and Vanya, ever the good girl, eats her meal quietly as ordered.

But Five doesn't eat. He stabs his steak knife into the table, catching the attention of everyone in the room.

"Number Five!" Reginald snaps.

"I have a question." Five states, clearly angry about something. Ramona and Vanya share a look.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson!"

Five tosses his knife down. "I want to time travel."

"No."

"But I'm ready! I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." He stands and pushes his chair back, teleporting and appearing beside Reginald at the head of the table. "See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn." Reginald explains, surprisingly patiently.

Five pauses and huffs. "I don't get it."

"Hence, the reason you're not ready."

Vanya shakes her head at him but Five continues. "I'm not afraid."

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable." Reginald sets down his silverware and faces Five. "Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five stands there for a long moment before turning on his heel and walking away.

"Number Five! You have not been dismissed. Come back here!" Reginald shouts after him, but his heart clearly isn't in it, because the old hag doesn't even stand up. Doesn't chase after the boy.