14

Elijah

I knew Harper and Amelia had broken up, but when I forced Harper out of the house, that little fact had slipped my mind. I only wanted someone to stick by my side during the party because I didn't want it to be awkward. Brian had Jade, so he couldn't be my scapegoat. Harper, on the other hand, could be. It was selfish, but she agreed nonetheless.

Once everyone had arrived, people started drinking. That was something I tried to go easy on. Though it was just wine, I still didn't want to relive that last party, or that hangover the morning after. Harper was already tipsy at this point, but I didn't mind her giggling and bumping into me every five seconds. Taking care of her was a way to avoid looking at Oliver.

We were playing a game that I had never played before, mostly because I always thought these games were dumb and embarrassing. This one was called never have I ever, and it was enlightening. I learned so much about these people, and it was things I really didn't even want to know. Nigel had tried so many drugs in his life, and some guy named Chad had been with over thirty girls. Amelia couldn't ride a bike. Jade had her nipples pierced, which was something I also had to drink to. I took small sips each time, and most of these bizarre things, I had never done, so I wasn't even buzzed by the end of the game.

"We should play something else," Nigel complained, tossing his empty beer bottle into the middle of the circle. Suddenly, he wore a mischievous grin. "How about spin the bottle?"

There were a couple mumbles and agreements until finally, Jade sat up on her knees, swaying a little as she regained her balance. "I'll go first!" She grinned and reached for the bottle, giving it a good spin. She sat back and watched it go around until it started to slow. For a second, I was afraid it would land on me, but it went just a little further to Brian, who was next to me. Jade's face turned bright red when she realized who it was on. "Oh!" she squeaked as Brian scooted closer and grabbed her by the hips. Everyone cheered when they kissed, but after awhile it got old, and someone yelled at them to get a room. Brian pulled away with a grin, but Jade was still red in the face.

"I guess it's my turn," Amelia sighed, reaching forward to spin the bottle. Everyone watched, but no one more than Harper, who was clinging to the sleeve of my shirt like her life depended on it. The bottle spun and spun, seemingly forever, until it slowed to a halt. It was pointing right at Harper. Amelia looked like she was holding her breath, waiting for Harper to say something. Of course, Harper wasn't going to.

"Bro, somebody kiss the girl," Nigel complained, impatient.

"Alright," Harper mumbled, swallowing hard as she stood up. Amelia stood too, meeting her in the middle of the circle. For a minute, they just stood there, watching each other. Eventually, Amelia tucked the hair behind Harper's ear and rested her hands on Harper's neck, pulling her closer until they were kissing. It wasn't a long kiss, but everyone would be blind to not see the passion behind it. When they pulled away, they each took their seats and they avoided looking at each other, their faces red.

Someone whistled, and I saw Oliver shoot the guy a glare, which shut him up fast. The next person to spin was Nigel, who was more than excited to get his turn. He spun the bottle and watched in anticipation as it went around. In a horrible revelation, I realized it had landed on me.

"Looks like I get a little taste of Elijah," Nigel teased, standing up to move closer to me. I had no choice, considering I agreed to play the game. I stood to meet him and I avoided Oliver's eyes at all costs. I did not want to see the hurt on his face when I kissed Nigel. Even though it meant nothing, I knew he got jealous easily. "I bet you've always wondered what it'd be like to kiss me, huh?"