Chapter 20

Amarundia stalked back and forth, wailing at the physical pain she felt from each mind that touched hers, begging her for help and knowing there was nothing that she could do. She could see a mob of people running through the square, running into each other as they tried to see through the haze of fog that had rolled in just before the storm. Roaring and thrashing her head from side to side she pushed off from the ground, beating her wings against her body, rising higher into the air with each thrust.

     Sister!

     Amarundia heard the warning, turned and dove just as quickly as she had when she ascended into the air and landed next to Malganadem, shaking the ground with the same force of an earthquake, They are in danger, Malganadem. I will not ignore that any longer. Amarundia turned and Malganadem stepped in front of her.

     Watch them, peer into their minds Amarundia. You have watched them grow and know them better than anyone. You do not have to answer me with this question, but do you really think that they will be unable to take care of themselves? You know who they are and where they come from. Do you truly believe that they are in mortal danger?

     Amarundia roared her frustrations and spit fire into the starry night sky as the rain began to fall throughout her land, If I truly thought that then you would never have been free to travel to any land that Noa's line has lived in. This is too close for me to just stand back and watch from afar...whether they can take care of themselves or not. This is not happening in one of our sisters' lands, it is happening in mine.

     Malganadem stared at the ground, Everything will turn out for the best.

     For the best? Amarundia's bright yellow eyes were wild, I have failed my land and the people I have sworn to protect, again. I will have lost their trust forever this time Malganadem. You stand there and preach that all will be well, but you have not had to deal with the King's demonstrations as I have. Your oath is intact and untarnished. Mine will never be. I can see Noa's face as clear as if he were standing in front of me, disappointed, and I know I have failed him.

     Amarundia...sister...he is gone, he cannot...

     Amarundia charged her sister and immediately stopped a hair's breadth from her, sneering, Do not think it. You dishonor him and the others. You dishonor his memory. You should never have changed the oath. Amarundia turned her back on Malganadem, The guards are leaving as is Pivane. Take them and leave my land, Malganadem. Now. Do not return unless you are ordered by your King.

     Malganadem lifted her head, surprised, and pulled it back away from Amarundia as if she had been struck. Without another word, she turned and set off to meet Pivane and the guard.

     Amarundia walked to Brae's home, crouching low in the tall grass at the opposite end of the open field closest to his door and waited. Even though she now knew that he and his siblings were fine, she had to see it for herself, not through the minds of others but with her own eyes. Amarundia knew that she would be unable to believe they were all fine until she was able to see them and make sure her failure hadn't hurt what she had been trying to protect since Noa's child had been born.

     Obram stood in the throne room with his Oracle, watching her eyes roll wildly behind her eyelids. Crossing his arms over his chest, he smiled when she flinched, knowing that she had always had a problem watching violence.

     The Oracle placed her hand over her chest, "Brae has saved the girl. Renna almost aided in her death, but Brae knocked Pivane out of the way before she was pushed into his sword. Things are becoming unclear...a storm has rolled into the square."