Chapter 1. Caught Off Guard

June 2016

There's still five months of probation to go.

I repeat the thought in my mind as I walk towards the exit of the Domestic area. Today marks my one month anniversary at the airport and my first sixteen-hour shift. Many oversold flights, delays, cancellations and cranky passengers later, my mind drifts to the anticipation of returning home to a steaming shower and my bed.

I pull out my phone from my pocket, connect to the Wi-Fi as I walk and scroll through my unread conversations on WhatsApp.

"Uh, excuse me? Hi..." a voice says, as I pass by the counter that displays the flight departure times and gates.

I look up to see a tall brown male dressed in a black suit smiling at me.

Startled and embarrassed, I fidget my phone before tucking it in my pocket.

"Hi-ii..." I gulp.

He laughs, fixes the button on his white dress shirt and places his hands in his pockets.

"You know who I am?" he questions.

My face flushes.

"No, but I should go...I, uh, was just making my way out anyway." I force a smile.

I watch as the figure stands tall in front of me, enough to make me feel like an ant. The cologne is strong, giving a scent of tension, intensity and dominance.

No blue shirts, but a white dress shirt. No red ties, but a blue one. Nothing that hints that he works in customer service like me. But, he could be from management. Unless, it's a passenger. Those business passengers tend to dress this way sometimes. But he could also be a celebrity.

They tend to be pretty cocky. But, if they're popular, they'll wear sunglasses. I see none one of that at the moment.

Black blazer. Well-ironed white dress shirt. Plain blue tie. Black pants. Dress shoes.

I give the man a quizzical look.

"You know I work for you?" he asks, breaking the silence between us.

My gaze moves from his brown eyes, down to the white tiles.

"Uh, no..." I smile. Wait, did he just say, for me? Management?

I take a deep breath.

"Well I work with you. I just started a few weeks ago."

My shoulders drop and I let out a sigh.

For? With? I raise a brow and clear my throat.

"Ramp?"

"No, customer service. Like you," the man crosses his hands on his chest.

"How do you find it?" his eyes scan the domestic area.

You couldn't have said that sooner? Is this a game or an interview?

"It's good. I'm a newbie too. Welcome." I slide my right palm into my pocket and squeeze my phone.

It's time to punch out soon I think.

"Thank you," his pupils widen.

Sounds of footsteps, final call announcements and the honking of the red golf cart taking passengers from one gate to the other fill the silence between us.

"I'm done for the day, so I was just about leaving...you know?" I take a deep breath. "But uhh, hey, ahh-I, uh, was wondering, what are you doing here, not in uniform? This is a secured area."

A countdown alarm goes off on my handheld device. This is my chance to leave.

"I work here at another company here. I've got two full-time jobs, that's why I was inquiring about the job. It's hard balancing two jobs," he laughs.

He takes a step forward.

Mind the gap. Personal bubble. Hello!

I take a step back.

"Just give me a minute," he whispers. I watch as a passenger approaches him.

"Sorry to interrupt, but is there anywhere I can buy food?"

Why, me? There's so many agents walking by, why can't he stop them?

"Sorry to keep you waiting," he says and turns back to face me.

"It's okay," I jump.

"I should go...I don't want to miss my bus. Sorry. I'll, uh, see you around though." I slip my hands in pockets, but this time I leave my phone there. I dart towards the exit.

"Nice talking with you," he calls out loud enough for me to hear, as I fade away.

As I leave the secured area, I turn around to see my mystery "colleague" looking at me and smiling, his hands in his pockets.

I let out a sigh of relief and continue to make my way down to the Ground level, where I drop off my radio and PDA back at the radio room.

I walk to the computer, press my card and finger on the reader and wait for the green signal.

I check the time and run to the bus stop.

My mystery colleague's face is plastered in my mind and my body shakes thinking about the interaction again.

What if he was actually from management? Today, you got lucky, but next time you may not be. Keep the phone away.

There's still five months of probation to go.