Chapter 3 - Small Kisses, Big Meaning

Rapunzel turned around to see Merida and Hiccup walking towards her and Jack, wearing huge smiles and - were they holding hands?

"Merida?" Rapunzel smiled widely.

"Yeah?" Merida grinned.

"Are you and Hic -?"

"You could say so," Merida shrugged her shoulders.

"You didn't need our help!" Jack slapped Hiccup on the back, making him wheeze. "Good on you!"

"Thanks," Hiccup grinned before smiling at the ground. Rapunzel squealed loudly, making them all turn and look at her.

"Sorry," she gasped, "I just can't believe this is actually happening!"

"Well," Merida looked at her toes, "it's not quite official yet. We're going to the dance -" (Rapunzel squealed again, earning a death glare) "but we're not, well..."

"You can fix that Hic," Jack nudged him closer to Merida with a smirk on his face. Hiccup fell forward and picked himself up quickly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Um - Merida," Hiccup began, trying to force the words out of his reluctant throat, "would you, um - er..."

"Just get on with it!" Jack yelled, making Rapunzel giggle and Merida glare.

"D'you, er - wouldyouliketobemygirlfriend?"

"Sorry?" Merida smiled, "I didn't quite catch that."

Hiccup sighed and rolled his eyes.

"You heard me perfectly well the first time!"

"Yes - but I just want to hear you say it again."

Hiccup exhaled slowly.

"Fine. Merida - do you want to go out with me?"

"Let's think," Merida pretended to ponder whilst Rapunzel was trying desperately to contain her excitement, "that would work for me. I guess it's a yes."

Hiccup grinned broadly and Jack yelled again -

"JUST KISS HER ALREADY!"

"Jack!" Rapunzel tugged his arm, murmuring - "they're not ready for that yet."

"Well I'm hardly asking them to have sex am I?"

"Jack!"

"Ugh - fine."

Merida grinned and took a step closer to Hiccup. Jack noticed immedietly and said under his breath:

"Hello there!"

"Shut it Frosty!"

"I didn't say anything! Furball."

"Abominable Snowman."

Hiccup laughed.

"That's a good one, even you have to admit it Jack."

"You will never have better comebacks than me Merida."

"I thought I just did!"

"Oh damn, he got burned!" Hiccup laughed again, hi-fiving Merida as Rapunzel tried not to giggle.

"You need some ice for that burn?" Merida grinned at Jack. "Oh wait, you already have plenty!"

Even Rapunzel started laughing now and even Jack seemed to be able to see the funny side of it.

"I'll give you that."

"I did warn you."

"Don't push it. Anyway, where were you and Hiccup?" Jack smirked.

"Around about," Merida smiled, "here." She kissed him quickly on the cheek as Hiccup stood there, stunned. He touched the spot where Merida's lips had made contact with him and he remained very still, open mouthed in shock.

"I'm never washing this cheek again."

"You will, or you won't get any more kisses," Merida grinned. Hiccup smiled and blushed. This was a pretty good day to be honest.  Merida had kissed him. SHE HAD KISSED HIM! Yes it was just on the cheek, but wow! Was this really happening? It was pretty hard to define the truth from dreams at the moment. But Hiccup was ecstatic.

"Aw!" Rapunzel looked at them adoringly. "They're so cute!"

"Wait a second," Merida grinned, "you two are acting funny. What happened since I left then, huh?"

"N - nothing..." Jack and Rapunzel stuttered at exactly the same time. Hiccup smirked and whispered to Merida what had happened when she'd gone.

"I KNEW IT!" Merida yelled, pumping her fist in the air, "I KNEW he fancied you!"

"Keep your voice down!" Jack hushed frantically, waving his arms downwards in an attempt to shut Merida up.

"I always knew it," Merida said aside to Hiccup, who smiled at Jack's blushing face.

"This is great though!" Rapunzel said excitedly, "We can all share lifts to the dance! We can all go together!"

"When is the dance?" Merida asked.

"This Sunday. We've got some serious shopping to do Merida."

"Oh God," Merida groaned. "Shopping?"

"Be strong Merida," Hiccup whispered.

"See you -" Jack started.

"Wouldn't want to be you," Hiccup finished as Rapunzel dragged Merida out to discuss outfit designs.

"She's going to be slaughtered," Jack murmured to Hiccup as the brunette nodded frantically.

A/N Really short chapter I know but I'll be drafting out the next chapter tonight - maybe publish today if I'm super lucky! Please comment what you think of this, I don't know whether to continue.