ten

Dusk cascaded over me like a thin black curtain as I maneuvered sheepishly through the drunken atmosphere of the bar strip. I shivered from the cold and from the fear that had not departed since my encounter with Jasper earlier in town. I regretted ever following him, inquiring into his life and opening the floodgates for a much more terrifying set of mysteries. I was ready for my life to return to normal, but it wasn't going to. Not anytime soon.

I stalked past a group of sweaty bearded men, the chiming of their clinking beer bottles sounding out like an anthem. I kept my eyes on the restaurant signs, until I found Poppas. I swallowed, but headed towards it.

I pulled the thick hood off my head once I crept through the double doors. There was an unexpected profusion of people inside, I figured it must of been the whole town. My eyes gleaned upwards to the ceiling where a dirty banner exclaimed a holiday unknown to me was occurring today. I scanned through the hoard of drunkards, before a grin tugged me forward. Jasper had reserved a booth, or maybe killed the guy who was sitting there before. Either way it was ours and that thought worried me. Disgusted me. I slid into the seat across from him.

"Nice jacket," He commented slyly, eyeing the black fabric hanging over my shoulders. It reeked of cigarettes and suddenly I was reminded why.

I groaned, finding the comment far from funny, then fumbled out from its warmth.

"I didn't say you had to give it back," He clarified, almost rolling his eyes. I balled it up and tossed it bitterly to his side of the booth. "I thought it looked great."

"You're not funny, you're annoying, now tell me whatever you need to say in fifteen minutes because that's when I'm leaving this stupid place for the rest of my life." I snapped, my eyes narrowed underneath drawn brows.

"For the rest of your life?" He mocked me.

"Yes, so I never have to see you or your brother ever again!" I nearly screamed it over the music, fury straining my voice.

"Oh, what a dream that will be, I can hardly wait!" He rasped back with equal rage. His hands flattened against the table as he pushed himself up to stand. "Come smoke a cigarette with me."

"I don't smoke," I said. "Just wait until after I leave."

He eyed me, lips pulled into a frown. "He won't let you leave." Then he sauntered out from his seat and towards the back of the bar.

I followed him, because he was the only reason I came here to begin with. He marched straight through the sea of people and out the backdoor that read "EMPLOYEES ONLY." I managed to do the same. We were alone back here.

"Won't someone come get us if they saw us walking out here?" I asked, suddenly consumed with the desire not to be overheard.

"What? Why?"

"Employees only?" I said it as if it were obvious.

"I work here."

I deflated and peered around us. String lights glowed against the dark azure atmosphere. The brick buildings seemed to all connect here, forming a tiny hideout that the bar staff must have claimed as their own. I glanced up at Jasper's face. "Can we please talk?"

"We're talking," He murmured.

"About Luke and the drugs," I insisted but he waved me off with a flick of his hand.

"What about you? You said some fucked up shit earlier. Your friend...she's in trouble yeah?" He nodded along as he talked, subconsciously urging me to respond.

I lifted my shoulders and looked anywhere but his face. He exhaled and stepped a little closer.

"You're in trouble, too, yeah?" His eyes were soft now.