1 | 9

A R L O

We all watched as the truck plummeted down into the ocean. As soon as it hit the water, it sank with frightening speed. Soon, it would be fully submerged and the passengers would be in even more danger.

That was, if they hadn't already died on impact.

"We have to get Delphinium out," Jaxon said quickly and threw open the car door. He began making his way down the rocky cliffs, nearer to the small waterfront town ahead where the incline was less severe. The rest of us followed suit.

Finn and I hung back as the former tried to navigate the bluffs at his own pace—his sliced leg was now tied with a tourniquet, letting him walk slowly forward. I figured it was best to stay with him and make sure he didn't join the others by falling in the water. And perhaps he would owe me one for saving his sorry life.

The others were at the small strip of sand now. No one in the town had gathered to watch yet, but I had a feeling they would with what came next.

Jake, Kane and Jaxon stood before the crashing waves. For a second, nothing happened. Then, ice began to form in a line straight out, pushing the water back on either side. The deeper the water became, the higher the thick walls of ice became, growing higher and higher like the spiked walls of a fortress. At the end of the pathway, I could see the military truck on the ocean floor far ahead.

Chin held high, the crime lord began stalking through the now-dry pathway without a word. "Careful," Finn said to him, slightly breathless. "She could still be an Imperium soldier." But Jake didn't give any sign he'd even heard him.

Without a moment's hesitation, Jaxon followed Jake down. Kane shot Finn an unsure look, not wanting to leave him injured here. "It's fine," I waved my hands forward, urging him forward. "I'll stay here."

      "No, you should go help too." Finn shook his head, uncharacteristically messy golden hair falling in his eyes. "I'm fine."

      "You're whiter than I've ever seen anyone be." It was true, his usually healthy tan skin was now pale. I turned to watch our three teammates. "And I think they've got this handled."

      "I think this is the first time you've ever admitted that someone's better without your help. Usually, you have quite a deluded view of your own self worth."

      I gave him a nasty look. "Please. I'm worth millions." He, of all people, should know that.

      He sighed. "And it's back."

      For a while, we watched in the distance as our three teammates reached the truck and began searching it for survivors. Even with my perfect eyesight, I couldn't tell exactly who was alive and who wasn't. At the edge of the beach, a crowd of people had began to gather, their attention focused wholly on the massive ice spikes. Sometimes I forgot that we were unusual, that we weren't normal people who gaped at things like this.

      Something heavy settled in my stomach at the thought of the assassins dead. What they did wasn't their fault, not really. And if Delphinium really was dead, would we have to see them drag her corpse back up here?

Our three teammates began their journey back up to the beach. First was Jaxon, who had his hand clamped around one of the Imperium assassins, forcing him forward. Though he was clearly injured with burns covering his face and arms, he was still able to walk. If he was alive, maybe that meant there were other survivors.

Next was Kane, who half-dragged, half-carried his soaking wet brother. Blood from a gash on his forehead leaked over the ruined half of the assassin's face. Benny was clearly not conscious; his eyes were rolled back and his limbs swayed with a strange weight. I wondered if Kane would have brought him to safety if he was still awake.

Jake brought up the rear. When he'd first gone down to the wreckage, I hadn't known what to expect from him. He was unpredictable, especially where the assassin was concerned. And now I saw something I didn't think I'd ever see: Delphinium's mangled body in his arms as he carried her back up with a deathly expression marring his features.

At first glance, it looked almost as if Delphinium could be sleeping. With eyes closed and face relaxed, she looked strangely peaceful. But her blindingly white head was angled back to catch the light of the sky, showcasing how her normally-white skin had gone ghostly. Her long limbs dangled down lifelessly, swaying with his every movement. Both water and her blood dripped onto his dark clothes, though I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from.

      Jake somehow still maintained his impassive mask of cool even while carrying her corpse-like body, like he was doing a particularly annoying chore. He didn't even look down at her. But his breathing and heartbeat gave him away.

And as he got closer, I didn't need good eyesight to see the slightly-off angle of her neck as she slumped against Jake. It was snapped.

My lips parted as I saw her. I couldn't hear a heartbeat. Either it was too weak to be audible, or it wasn't beating at all. But that look Jake wore and the way she was so deathly pale...

I glanced over at Finn. He wore the same shock as I did and I could hear his shaky breath. Neither of us said anything, not knowing what to say. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been this serious. She looked lifeless, so lifeless...

An ambulance was already arriving, its sirens audible from blocks away. But everyone's attention stayed on our fallen teammate. For the first time, Jake glanced down at her. Nothing in his face changed. I couldn't tell if he was worried or not, if he knew whether she was dead or alive.

The paramedics from the ambulance rushed out onto the beach, breaking up the crowd. One of them took Benny from Kane as two others laid Delphinium onto a stretcher. Jake stepped back. The ice walls holding back the water collapsed under the mighty weight and were pulled under the tides.

"Are any of you riding with them?" The last paramedic's eyes swept over the six of us.

"I'll go," Finn volunteered and hobbled forward to ride with the two fallen soldiers. I'd never say it, but I was glad he chose to go with them; the wound on his leg was beginning to blossom red through the bandages.

We all watched as the ambulance's engine started and it disappeared down the street. Delphinium and Benny's fates were still undecided. As for the remaining assassin...

     Jake slowly turned toward him, a predatory look in his eyes. Jaxon, sensing Jake was going to deal with his prisoner, pushed the man forward without mercy. And though the man was severely injured and already dying where he stood, he spat at Jake's feet. The crime lord didn't even look to the wet patch at his feet.

     "If she's dead, she deserves it," the man said, a trickle of blood coming from his mouth. It seemed Jaxon had gotten in a few punches to make him docile. "And if she's turned back, she's better off dead." He was attempting to rile Jake, to say the worst possible things before his inevitable demise.

     Jake made no move for him like I'd wanted him to. Instead, an arctic chill blew by on the wind and the man began to shake. We all watched as his fingers turned blue and legs became stiff.

      Soon, his darkened lips began to tremble uncontrollably. "She d-deserves it," he spat again between shivers, driving the insult home. "Delphinium Tesla...will die."

     The crime lord still said nothing, though the ice in his eyes needed no words. A look of fear and wide-eyed shock passed over the agent's face. "N-no. Don't." The cold pressed on. "Stop." No one went to his aid.

      His extremities were nearly blackened now, his heart slow and unsteady. The beats came about every three seconds, weaker with every passing moment. With jaw clenched and eyes squinted shut, I knew he felt the most pain possible as Jake froze him solid.

     Frost spread over the agent's skin in a thin layer. Those dark eyes were going glazed, face as white as snow. And when he finally fell—completely frozen to death—no one moved.