Chapter 6: Troopers of the Round Jacuzzi

Karno stood outside Captain Rex's training room, his cybernetic hand fiddling with the datapad in his palm. He knew approaching Rex, a man steeped in both Republic loyalty and Mandalorian pragmatism, was a gamble. Yet, the whispers in the Force, the Admiral's probing questions, and the looming shadow of Dooku all screamed for a confidant, someone who understood the darkness that clung to the edges of his being.

Taking a deep breath, he tapped the door. The metallic clang echoed in the silent corridor, and a moment later, Rex emerged, his armor glinting under the sterile lights.

"Karno," Rex acknowledged with a curt nod. "What brings you to my humble training grounds?"

Karno hesitated, the weight of his unspoken request heavy on his tongue. "Rex, I... need your help."

Rex's brows furrowed slightly, his gaze assessing. "With what, exactly?"

Karno's gaze darted around the corridor, searching for any sign of eavesdroppers. Finally, he lowered his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. "The Admiral, Rex. He knows something. About me."

Rex's posture stiffened. "Knows what?"

Karno hesitated, torn between trust and secrecy. But the desperation in his voice won over. He recounted the conversation with Tanks, omitting the Sith Lord's name but not the unsettling implications.

As he finished, Rex's expression remained stoic, betraying nothing of his thoughts. The silence stretched, thick and tense. Finally, Rex spoke, his voice low and measured.

"The Admiral is a shrewd man, Karno. He plays his cards close, but ambition often reveals itself in subtle ways. What did your gut tell you?"

Karno closed his eyes, replaying the encounter. "He's testing me, Rex. Feeling me out. He wants something, something related to... abilities I might possess."

Rex's eyes narrowed. "Abilities? What kind of abilities?"

Karno hesitated. Could he trust Rex with the truth, with the whispers of a past life echoing within him? The words felt heavy on his tongue, but the need for guidance, for understanding, was stronger.

"I... I've had visions, Rex. Flickers of power, glimpses of a past life I don't remember. The Admiral, he... he hinted at the Force."

The silence that followed was deafening. Then, Rex let out a slow, measured breath. "The Force, huh? That explains a lot, actually."

Karno's eyes widened in surprise. "You... you believe me?"

Rex chuckled, a dry, humorless sound. "Believe me, Karno, I've seen stranger things than a clone haunted by the echoes of a Jedi Knight. But trust me, keeping this hidden from the wrong ears is crucial."

Karno felt a flicker of hope. Rex wasn't dismissing him, not entirely. But caution still lingered in his eyes.

"What do you want, Karno? What are you hoping I can do?" Rex asked, his gaze steady.

Karno swallowed hard. "Answers, Rex. I need to know who I am, what this power means, and who else is out there like me. And... I need to understand the Admiral's motives before he makes his move."

Rex regarded him for a long moment, his expression unreadable. Then, a hint of a smile played on his lips. "Alright, Karno. Consider this a training exercise of sorts. Uncovering the truth, navigating the shadows, that's what we do. But remember, the Force is a dangerous tool. You tread a fine line, walking between the Republic and the darkness within."

Relief washed over Karno. He wasn't alone. Rex, with his own complex history and understanding of the Force, was willing to guide him, to be his confidant in this clandestine mission.