Chapter 2: The Wardrobe

Klemens was surprised by how familiar it felt to be back in uniform. The red overall was practical and – even though it really did not seem like it – a good way to go unnoticed. Well. Not unnoticed, but at least not drawing any unwanted attention. In the other universes, a red overall would be seen as very simple wear. Bright, yes. But nothing special. When Klemens had just joined the UMD, it'd seemed very unnatural to him to wear something so obvious. But Clarke had rightfully explained to him that the universe he came from was actually pretty boring. Other universes were different. More outgoing. Even the BDSM-like straps around his thighs and chest were – according to Clarke – the best way not to stand out. People would see they were from another universe. But they'd never be able to pinpoint from where exactly.

Given Arturo's background, it was ironic that he had to wear a red overall now. Arturo himself had never worked for the SEF before. In the lower forces, they'd wear even less obvious suits. Like grey or dark blue. Arturo had tried to get into the suit he'd usually wear for the 1st Level Forces, but Clarke hadn't accepted his request. "You work for the SEF now, Mr. Román. This is the SEF uniform. I know what it reminds you of, but if you're a good agent you can refocus and ignore those thoughts."

Arturo was a smart man, so he'd kept his mouth shut after that. He didn't want to piss off his superior any further. Klemens grinned at him. "Well, with those straps and studs you look at least more classy than your favourite robbers." It'd only earned him a glare.

"Mr. Román, Mr. Hannigan... We wish you the best of luck. You can use your earpiece to stay in touch with us at all times, it's interdimensional technology. Don't lose it. If you do, there's a backup system in the briefcase of Mr. Román, but it's more obvious and doesn't work as efficient. Remember what you're in for." She paused for a moment, her eyes finding Klemens'. "We have the trust that you're the best agent for this job. Keep that in mind when things get rough. You were chosen for a reason."

She gave them both a faint smile as she pressed the button. A light tingle spread across Klemens' body, signifying the presence of a portal. "Some journeys take us far from home. Some adventures lead us to our destiny," Klemens whispered quietly to himself, thinking about the books he'd read as a child. He hoped that, just like the entire work of fiction, this sentence would turn out to be real. He glanced at Arturo and then stepped into the pool of whirling blue light. No portal was the same. Some of them where chaotic and noisy. This one wasn't. It felt as if he'd walked into a nice whirlpool. Warm and comfortable. The sound like a soft, cackling stream of water.

Within a few seconds, the sensations disappeared again. He felt a chilly breeze on his cheek. He was standing at the edge of a large field of green grass. He's been here before, years ago. But like always in Narnia, everything had changed. The trees were bigger. Much, much bigger. The little pond that used to be here had dried out, and was now a little bump in the landscape.

"So. Narnia is full of surprises. Isn't it?" Klemens looked over his shoulder to see Arturo studying his surroundings as well. "I was here two months ago. Two months. I wonder how much time has passed here. My first guess would be around three to four years?" Klemens shrugged. "I haven't been here in ten years, Arturo. I know nothing about the timeline differences between my world and Narnia. All I know is that it looks different."

"Very well, Icelandic boy. I guess you'll have to follow my lead then."

Klemens raised his eyebrows. "You're the Narnia expert. Not the one in charge."

"Same difference. I know where we're headed. Do you?"

Klemens sighed. This is what he'd been afraid of when he heard he had to work with this man. The guy had a huge and unhealthy obsession with being useful. So for now, it was probably best to give in to that while they still could. When things would get rough, Klemens could take over.

"Alright, lead the way then."

That was clearly not the answer the Spanish man had expected, but it did put a smile on his face as he turned around facing the forest. "We're near the Rock Bridge. The servant boy we're looking for has a cabin in the Western Woods. It should be around a two-hour walk." With that, Arturo held his briefcase a little tighter and made his way into the forest. Klemens knew he made the right decision with this man, and followed him into the shadow of the trees.

It was strange to be back here, knowing that in this world the time passes so much quicker. The handful of people he met the last time he was here, they were probably gone by now. Or just very old. It was difficult to say. The timeline didn't just go faster but was also non-linear to the timeline from his own universe. It was impossible to know how many time had passed unless they would meet someone from Narnia. Even then, it would be a rough guess.

"Arturo-"

"Shhh, stay quiet." The other man glared at him, clearly upset that Klemens had tried to speak. The blond man raised his eyebrow. Arturo rolled his eyes. "It's not safe here. I'll explain later. Just keep quiet for now."

Klemens tried to ignore the chill that spread across his back. Suddenly the forest didn't seem as beautiful and calm. The shadows were looming over them, and every step they made suddenly sound like little earthquakes. He wondered what was hiding in between the thick branches. Wondered what was here that he's never heard of. He hoped that not talking would be enough to not attract the thing Arturo was trying to warn him about. He hated the fantasy universes. It was so different. It was easy to go into the realistic ones. Those were similar to his own. They felt safer, even if they weren't. The fantasy ones were unpredictable. You never knew whatever impossible thing would be normal, or the other way around.

----

Arturo suddenly froze. His hand shot up, signifying Klemens to stop whatever he was doing as well. The last hour Klemens had tried to not think about everything that could possibly be lurking around in this forest, but he hadn't exactly managed to do so. So this sudden change made his fingers tingle with fear as his heartbeat picked up its pace. Arturo was slowly scanning their surroundings. Squinting his eyes as he tried to focus on one particular point in the distance.

"Klemens? I think we're already here," he whispered as quietly as he could. Klemens tried to see the same thing as the other man, but he couldn't spot a difference in the scenery. "Where?"

Arturo waved with his hand, encouraging Klemens to follow him again. Which he did. He still had no idea what he was looking for. Every single tree seemed the same. Every leaf, every branch, every rock- Wait. That rock, it wasn't the same at all. It had a weird glow to it. They walked closer. Slowly, step by step. Then, out of nowhere, Arturo smacked his hand onto the top of the rock hard. Then, everything went too fast. Arturo pulled the both of them back, Klemens saw a bright flashing light and then, as he blinked his eyes, a cabin appeared.

"Geh scheissn!" There was a loud thud and more cursing before the door swung open. Klemens stared at the man in front of them. He was tall. Much, much taller than Arturo or Klemens. His blond hair nearly fell over his eyes. He was wearing some kind of weird costume. Or, maybe this was what the Queen's servants had to wear. Klemens didn't know. And it didn't quite matter. "Who the fuck are you?" the man demanded, the high-pitched voice ringing in his ears.

Arturo and Klemens shared a look. Yes. This was their guy.

"You are Mr. Bruno, right?" Arturo tried politely. He stood up a little more straight and offered his hand. The man in front of them cackled – the sort of laugh that was obviously fake – and stared right back at them. "I am. But you already know that. Otherwise you two... Whatever you are. You wouldn't have been able to find me."

"I am Klemens, this is my partner Arturo. Can we come in? We have urgent business to discuss with you."

Bruno stared at Klemens this time, taking in every single inch of his body. "Well, I can't say no to a cute twink like you, now can I?" With that, the man stepped aside to invite the both of them into his cabin. Klemens blushed at the nickname. It's not the first time he'd been called that, even though he's married to a woman, it's apparently a vibe he has. Well, maybe this is the first time it works in his favour. He nodded at Arturo, and they followed the man inside. Both of them hoping it wouldn't be a trap.