The Throne

Evangeline's POV
The kingsflame bloomed around me. Brilliant blooms of bright amber nestled in every nook and cranny of the kingdom. But I was not at peace.

I took the Terrassen throne at the young age of 15, when the rightful Queen, Aelin Galathynius had died on the battlefield, hands linked with her beloved, Rowan.

No one else from the court of Terrassen survivied, so I have to take her place. But how is a 15 year old supposed to rule a kingdom? Sure, I have Michale, grey, boring, mid-life crisis enduring Michale, who had recently bought a motorbike that he had no idea how to use, my political adviser, to advise me with the decisions of the country, but how was I supposed to navigate growing up? How was I supposed to grow, without being able to share my heartbreak with Lysandra?

'Queen Evangeline, your majesty. It is time for your meeting regarding Terrassen's connections to Adarlan.' Michale's boring declaration interrupts my depressing thoughts, but I guess that's for the better. Rational decisions could not be made with an irrational mind, according to him anyways. Like I ever actually listened to him.

                                ~

'Everyone rise for her majesty, Faerie Queen of the West, ruler of Terrassen,
Queen Evangeline,' Michale orders the croud of Adarlanian aristocrats.

The shuffling of designer shoes that could buy food to feed an orphanage for weeks fills the room. Strangely, my title feels bigger than I am. If my title was personified, I'd be scared of that person.

'I am here today to talk.. I mean, discuss, the matter at hand. After the war that terrorised Erilea from top to bottom, we need to discuss whether we should sign a Treaty and form an alliance to prevent future wars, or should we let nature run its course.' Another thing Michale has been trying to teach me. Speak with eloquence and poise.

I scan the room, looking for someone who might actually offer an opinion on the matter. All I get is blank stares.

Michael nudges my shoulder. 'They're still waiting for your opinion' he hissed. Oh would he shut up for once?
You can't really blame me for forgetting though. I was so used to a life where my opinion was never asked for, and I would get beaten whenever I expressed it, and now I'm supposed to be the voice of Terrassen.

'Oh, um, ok. I propose we sign a Treaty to promise not to invade each other's lands, but not an alliance. We need to stay separate, it's almost guaranteed that we'll clash, and start another fight.'

The room paused for a second. Until a boy with golden brown hair, bronze eyes and tanned skin around my own age rises to his feet, probably suffering from similar situations to my own.

'Terrin Westfall, Lord of Anielle. We need an alliance. You think keeping our countries separate at all times will prevent conflict? Maybe it will for a while, but it's not permanent. We need an alliance, to protect both our countries, if they're ever invaded.'

This must have been Chaol's brother. Equally tall, equally headstrong, and equally annoying.

I feel my cheeks go red. Of course I knew an alliance would be the best option for their countries, but, selfishly, I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could avoid facing the monsters that took everything away from me, by keeping our countries distant. It was foolish, I know, but I couldn't bear the thought of waking up to get ready for a meeting, and seeing Lysandra's killers as ambassador to Terrassen. Lysandra, what am I supposed to do without you?

Luckily, Lysandra had raised me for most of my life, so I was very good at getting my way.

'An alliance, while good in theory, may not be so good in practice. If one of our countries goes to war, will both of them have to fight? What if one country is unable to fight? The other would have to send aid to the other country, putting the war effort at risk. Did you even read about Mussolini and Hitler's Pact of Steel in history? Sure, they were both dillusional fascists, but we should still learn from their mistakes. Oh wait, I forgot. Adarlan's education system crashed 20 years ago.'

A low blow, but now that I had the right to speak my mind, I was never giving it up.

I watch with a smirk, as the shock registers on the Adarlanian faces. But I could never forget the look on young Terrin Westfall's face. Red as a tomato, there seemed to be steam billowing from his ears, like an old cartoon. Such rage was not fit for a royal court. Well, he can't help it, he's just a child.

'You must be out of your GOD-DAMN MIND if you think the-'

'Terrin please,' a man who I guess is Terrin's political advisor pleads.

'Burr, I'd rather be divisive than indecisive, drop the niceties.'

I snort. I can't believe he just quoted Hamilton in a court meeting. Something tells me that if we didn't have differing policies, we'd get along.

I feel someone staring at me, and look over to Michale, with one of his 'your the Queen, so act like it stares.' Whoops, I was so busy singing Hamilton in my head that I forgot to act all 'lady-like'. Better put my lady face back on.

'My sincerest apologies. It seems as though the flu spares not even the Queen of Terrassen.'

Ok, so that's my first chapter done. Hope you like it. Also don't judge me for Michale's name, I just used the first male name on my bookshelf, and accidently spelled it wrong, and thought 'hey, that looks kinda fantasy-ish.' Anyways, I was thinking of doing a kinda angsty-ish chapter next, and yeah I should probably plan these more but... Too lazy.