Revenge

Stephanie shot straight up in bed, suddenly alert.

"What do you mean?" She asked sharply.

"I mean, I don't think she pulled the trigger, but I'm certain she was involved."

"Who, Matthew?"

"She looked so familiar. I knew I'd seen her before, but I couldn't place where."

Stephanie stood up and gripped Matt's shoulders with surprising strength, nearly causing him to drop the coffee he was still holding.

"Matthew Patrick, who killed my sister?"

"Megan. She wasn't turned fresh. Vampires look young no matter how old they are, and she was very pale when I saw her."

Stephanie froze, still holding onto Matt's shoulders. Her nails were beginning to painfully poke into Matt as she stared in shock.

"Okay, where did you see her?"

Matt winced as Stephanie's nails continued to dig into his shoulders. Stephanie noticed and lowered her hands. "Sorry."

"Do you remember when Sophie and I went out for drinks, when I turned twenty-one? We left you behind, you were underage."

"Yeah."

"Megan was there. We met up with three of her friends, and she was one of them. It was my first time drinking and I got pretty wasted, I barely remember her. I was just thinking of Sophie when I was out, all the good times we had together, and I just saw her face. It can't be a coincidence."

"Dammit!" Stephanie said angrily, turning away. Matt stared at her.

"You're upset? We finally have a chance at revenge, after ten years!"

"I'm upset because you already killed her!" Stephanie said, turning back to Matt.

"I don't get my revenge, not truly."

"Well, Steph, I don't think she pulled the trigger, metaphorically speaking. I think she got Sophie involved with a bad crowd and tried to turn her. She refused, so they killed her."

"So, whoever did this is still out there?"

Matt nodded. Stephanie let out a long sigh.

"Okay, we need to find them. Do we have any idea who it might be?"

"She seemed pretty cozy with Dominick, but I don't think it was him. It seemed like she'd just met him recently, they weren't old friends."

"Do you think Godfrey could have done it?"

"I'm pretty damn sure he was present, even if he wasn't the one who actually did it. He's one of the most threatening ones left."

"Okay. Godfrey got away once and we have no other leads on him, so what do we do?"

Matt thought back, trying to remember the faces of Sophie's other two friends.

"Sophie and I met up with two other people there, we should track them down. See if they know anything."

"What are their names?"

Matt thought hard.

"Veronica Huxtable and Devon Booth."

Stephanie nodded. "I'll do some research."

"Great. So, uh, coffee first?"

Stephanie looked outraged at first, but her expression softened as she looked at the two cups Matt was still holding.

"Yes, fine, coffee first."

Matt was watching TV when he heard Stephanie call his name. He looked over to her. She had been researching for the last few hours.