A Letter fron Augustus

Hazel Grace, don't think I don't know what's been happening. I wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea, but it's not like I can't check in once in awhile.

Because I do.

I can't help it.

Its been a year since I died, it still feels weird to say that, and you're not here yet. I'm patient, though. I don't want you to be here before you're meant to be.

But I see that you're still sad, which you shouldn't . That's very un-Okay. But I also notice that you haven't touched an Imperial Affliction, which may have less to do with me and more to do with the fact that the author is, well, I'll use the term socially intolerable.

I wouldn't take it out on the book, though. The characters don't choose their writers, Just like we don't always choose our stories.

Which brings me to Isaac. Hazel Grace, my friend could have made Barney cry before he was kicked off the show for cussing out a kid. He could have made Old Yeller glad to go by just talking to him. He could make even Spock himself question the logic of all things and feel for the depressed, blind, and also socially intolerable boy standing before him.

Remind Issac he isn't the one who died, so he shouldn't refuse to live on account of those who did.

Sure, he will say he's fine, its no big deal, but if you met someone who made ice cream melt faster just by being in the same room as it, you'd see it as a problem, too.

Living for the dead is living in vain. It's wasting what you're given on something you lost and that's just counterproductive.

Don't be counterproductive, Hazel Grace. Don't have Isaac be, either. Tell him to go out, see the word, metaphorically speaking. Tell him to listen to the traffic, the old couple fighting in the house across the road. Tell him to turn on the tv and splurge on Netflix, breaking the all time record of how many seasons a person can watch in a day, and he''ll probably be the first blind man never to do so.

And follow this, too. Pick up An Imperial Affliction again. Or better yet, find a new favorite book, in semblance of a new story. One that does not include me. I'm a part of the making of your story, but I'm not in it, anymore, Hazel Grace.

This is the end of my story, but we have yet to reach the epilogue.

Okay?

Okay.