Chapter 18: Insecure

"Say something"

"Like what? What do you want me to say Max?"

"I didn't tell you because I knew you would be scared"

"Just take me to the hotel. I need to make sure my daughter is fine"

Max sighed. Every time she got angry she would start thinking that Gaby was only hers, forgetting that he was her father too. She used to do that with Zander too. He wondered what he could do in order for her to trust him. He'd tried to tell her that keeping the matter about Lisandra's aunt was so he could protect her but she wouldn't listen. This was one of the reasons he hadn't wanted her to see Lisandra in the first place. That woman knew how to get inside her head and make her doubt a lot of things. He should have seen it sooner.

Every time he mentioned Lisandra, her back would go up, as if she was getting ready for a fight. He couldn't understand it though. To him, she was so much more than that woman. In his eyes, no one could come close to what she meant to him. Why couldn't she trust in their love? Trust that if he hid anything from her then it was to protect her and not for Lisandra? He loved her. Had everything he'd done not enough to show her that? What more could he do to convince her?

"You should have stayed at home instead of a hotel" he said pulling outside the five star establishment. He'd spent days, sitting inside his car opposite the street to see if she would show up there for work.

"I feel more comfortable here" opening the door, she said "Thank you for giving me a ride. You should go back home"

He unbuckled his seat belt "Like hell I will. I'm not leaving until we finish talking about this. Here on the street or inside. You decide"

"I'm tired Max. Gaby kept me up all night and it's taking a toll on me. I don't have the energy to argue with you"

"I don't want that either" he went around the car to where she was standing "I hate fighting with you Em. I knew that if you went to see Lisandra, this would happen. When it comes to her, you're always so...." he stopped because he didn't think she would like the word coming from his mouth.

"Insecure? Is that what you were about to say?"

"Yes. And I don't get it. It's you I love. I married you and not her. Why do you have to feel like that?"

"I can't believe you. Are you that dense?"

"Treat me like I am and explain everything to me in detail. I want to understand where all that comes from" was it his fault that she always felt that way? Was there something he hadn't done to assure her of his feelings?

"The years you've known her are less than the years we've known each other. It's only natural for me to feel inadequate when it comes to her. She used to do things just to prove to me how much you cared about her. And because you are so blind, you couldn't see it"

"Really? Things like what?"

"Rushing to her whenever she called. Wiping her mouth in front of me when she had food smeared on her face. Catching her when she tripped on the stairs"

Max closed his eyes and breathed in "You're joking. Right?"

"No. I know how petty I sound. But she used every chance she had to show me how important she was to you. No matter how much I knew you loved me, I still couldn't help but wonder if you loved her too. If you still love her"

"Dammit Emilia, how could you think like that? Did you stop to think that if I had loved her, I wouldn't have married you?"

"I often wondered if you married me because you felt sorry for me. After seeing the way Chrissie was treating me, you whisked me away because you wanted to be a hero. Save a damsel in distress. Was that it?"