Chapter 4:

A couple of weeks have passed since Josie and Penelope’s “moment”. When the morning rolled around, they said their friendly good mornings and separated. Penelope didn’t know why, but she felt a shift in their interactions almost immediately. Whether it was good or bad, she couldn’t be quite sure. They’ve both been picking up at work, causing them to see each other less. To say she missed Josie would be an understatement.

It was a Friday night when they all got home at a relatively early time. Hope, Lizzie, and Penelope were catching up with one another in the living room with a bottle of red wine. Josie was the only one running a little late from work.

“I say we finish this bottle of wine and go to the beach for some late-night swimming,” Hope suggests as Penelope raises her glass in the air.

“Despite the dangers that lurk in the water at night, I can use a moment to escape,” Lizzie adds as Hope wraps her arm around Lizzie. “I don’t know how Josie has the patience for half the staff. They are all witless, spineless, and lack common sense.”

Penelope snickers at Lizzie’s obvious distaste for her coworkers. “Careful Lizzie, those are fighting words.” Lizzie only looks at Penelope with a bored expression and a roll of the eyes.

“I’m serious, they’re teachers! Who knew preparing for a new semester would involve listening to their complaints about doing their job? It’s not even a concern about the funds, it’s them refusing to follow the curriculum. If they were smart, they would know that teachers need to work twice as hard and just accept the challenges that come with it.” Lizzie voices and Hope and Penelope sympathize.

“Give them a break, babe. It’s hard out there for them. You used to be a teacher once too. Just let them vent out their concerns and once the school season starts, go from there, yeah?” Lizzie snuggles deeper into Hope’s side as she lets out a defeated breath.

“Fine but I want to get ice cream tonight then,” Lizzie requests and Hope kisses the top of her head.

“Damn, Red, someone is whipped,” Penelope teases as she does a whip motion with her hand. Hope sticks out her leg across the couch to lightly kick Penelope in the thigh.

“And you’re not?” Lizzie asks sarcastically and Penelope’s eyes grew wide.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about Saltzman,” Penelope feigns innocence.

“Sure. I know you like Josie, Penelope. It’s not a secret. Well, okay, to her it is.” Lizzie points out as Penelope’s mouth is slightly agape and cocks her head suspiciously.

“Hope told me,” she confirms, and Hope holds up her hands in defense. Penelope looks at Hope with a hard glare before Lizzie continues. “I also saw you guys a few weeks ago in her room. You were holding onto her as if she was going to float away.”

Penelope is left speechless as she listens to her friend call her out on her feelings. She chugs the last of the wine in her glass and braces herself for whatever is said next.

“I know you’re scared. I’ve been there, we’ve both been there,” Lizzie gestures between both Hope and herself. “You harbor your feelings and intentionally hurt yourself because you’re terrified of what may happen. You were the first person she ran to when she caught Rafael in his… infidelity.” They all tense up, immediately feeling anger whenever he’s brought up. “My point is that you can’t be sure of what she feels if you’re not honest with her.”

Penelope soaks in Lizzie’s tangent and leans her head back against the couch.

“She’s right, Penelope. You can’t even let yourself date anyone else because you’re secretly devoted to her. You were with Jed up until a year ago and you ended it because you felt guilty. If your feelings are that powerful, it’s only fair to let them be known.” Hope adds with as much care as she can. She knows her best friend is stuck in her head and gives her time to marinate in her thoughts.