Epilogue

"Zuko? Are you coming out soon? The party's already started, people are dancing," Rumi said through the closed door, but the only answer she got was a small sniffle from the other side. Rumi sighed, "I'm coming in."

When she walked in, she saw Zuko standing in front of the mirror. He wasn't ready to go out, his hair was a mess and he was only wearing his pants.

"Zuko! Why aren't you ready? A celebration taking place in the Fire Nation kind of needs the Fire Lord," once again, Zuko didn't answer, he only crossed his arms over his chest self consciously.

"I can't go," he finally muttered.

Rumi was distraught, "But, I was gonna ask you to dance with me..."

Zuko turned to her without making eye contact, "There'll be plenty of guys that'll want to dance with you, I wouldn't want to embarrass you."

Shaking her head, Rumi argued, "That's nonsense. I don't care if other guys are interested!" she stepped closer to him and placed a hand on his arm, "What's going on?" she cocked her head.

"The 100 Year War has been over for over a year, you're amazing, the world is safe again, and I shouldn't be angry or stressed or confused, but I am! How can I not be? L-look at me!" Zuko shouted, gesturing to himself, all the way from his scar down to the rest of his body. He plopped down against the wall and buried his face in hands, not wanting Rumi to see him cry.

"Zuko... there's nothing wrong with you," she sat on the floor in front of him. "What's got you thinking like this?"

"I just, I don't know. You look so good in that dress and I don't want to see other guys—better guys—looking at you," Zuko went on. "I saw Mai and Ty Lee, even my sister, they all said I've gone soft."

Rumi smiled warmly, "There's nothing wrong with being soft. I like soft."

Zuko melted at her voice, his defences lowering, "I wish I wasn't so weak around you..."

"Are you kidding?!" Rumi exclaimed. "You're the strongest person I've ever met. You were strong enough to save me."

Rumi inched closer to Zuko and rested her hand gently on his thigh, to which Zuko moved away from her touch.

"I-I just don't know why I can't accept myself. My scar... the rest of me..."

"Zuko, these things are a part of you, and wonderful as they are to me, they don't define you," she said, praying that her words reassured him.

As she spoke, tears welled up in Zuko's eyes, "I don't know what you see in me, they're not wonderful at all..."

She couldn't stand to hear Zuko continuously put himself down anymore, her heart ached for him. Without hesitation, she crashed her lips into his, kissing him roughly and slowly pushing him down until he was laying defencelessly on his back, and she was on top of him.

Zuko looked into her eyes, tears still rushing out of his, "Rumi, I've always thought you were so beautiful."

Rumi smirked against Zuko's lips, "Well that's obvious, you're not exactly subtle."

Zuko's face turned beet red.

"I've always thought you were beautiful, too," Rumi admitted.

"You-you did?" he spluttered awkwardly.

"Ever since I first saw you," Rumi admitted. "When I caught you staring at me that first time and you shook your hair into your face, you were adorable. And when I watched you by the river after you stormed off; you were so upset and insecure. I was baffled, because I thought you looked amazing.

"Especially taking care of you. I loved every second of it," she started speaking in between kisses. "The way you felt ... against my hands when I was working on your bruises ... You felt ... perfect."

Zuko's face only got redder as he kissed her back passionately, pulling Rumi right down into him, "You're stunning, Rumi."

For once, Rumi blushed as she pulled back, "Come on, get yourself ready and let's get to the party."

Once they were there, Rumi took Zuko's hands and led him to the middle of the room.

"Dance with me."

Zuko looked around at all the people, "Everyone's watching."

Rumi giggled at his nervousness, "Let 'em look," she said as she pulled him into a deep kiss in front of everyone.

Overjoyed, Zuko kissed back as lively music rang throughout the palace.

"Zuko... I forgot to tell you this before... I love you, too."