1

eunbyul, you're a star

you are a dazzling star

you light up everyone's world

everyone loves you

you are so precious

Lies, my mother fed me lies and I grew up listening to them.

She told me I was precious and that she loved me more than anything in this world but she was lying.

I guess my mother's world was very small and I was the only person in it because she only loved me and then one day, she got tired of giving me unconditional love and left.

It's ironic.. my mother told me I was a dazzling light but I think I lost my spark.. maybe that's why she had to leave me.

I let out a sigh as I wipe the counter with a cloth.

"What's bugging you today, my royal customer?" Yunho places his arms on the counter and looks at me expectantly.

"You're annoying." I tell him as I flick his forehead and smile.

"That wasn't my question," He runs a hand through his bright, blue hair, "Everything okay at home?"

"Meh, it's fine. Just dad's fiancé pretending to love me and my dad pretending as if my real mom doesn't exist. Everything is fine."

Yunho takes a step towards me and places his hand on mine, holding it softly, "Just remember, I'm always for you."

"I-uh," My cheeks feel warm as I pull my hand back, "I really appreciate that, Yunho, thank you."

My eyes stay fixed on my worn out converse as I take a step back.

"I have to go," I mumble as I turn around and quickly take off my apron, "My shift ends in a minute."

"Eunbyul.." He calls my name softly and I pause in my steps, my hand holding the doorknob, "Did- did I overstep my boundaries? I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

"No, it's not like that," I turn around and give Yunho a small smile, "It's nothing- I'll just see you tomorrow, okay?"

Without waiting for his answer, I step out the small cafe and let out a sigh.

It is time to go back home, to the place which haunts me, to the place which doesn't let me feel rested for even a second. It's time to go back to the place which was once my home but now it feels unfamiliar.

Lost in my thoughts, I bump into a stranger and lose my balance.

He quickly grabs my elbow, saving me from embarrassment, from falling down.

"I- I am sorry," I jump away from the boy's grasp and look down at my shoes.

"Watch where-" His voice trails off and for a moment, I want to look up and see the expression on his face but I don't.

I don't have the courage to raise my head, I rarely have it now.

"You need a new pair of shoes." He says after a few seconds and then walks away from me.

Raising my head, I catch a glimpse of his red hair as he walks away and away until he mixes with the people in the streets and disappears from my sight.

Letting out a sigh, I place my earphones in my ear and blast out my favourite song on the highest volume, until it drowns my mind and all the thoughts swirling in it.

// Now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you're not here
To get me through it all
I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved //

The song gets interrupted as someone yanks out my earphone, "Yah! Are you deaf?"

My eyes come in contact with the boy's worried ones.

He points to my phone and sighs, "I need your phone- I mean, can I borrow it to call a friend?"

I nod my head as I place my phone in his hand and he quickly turns around and starts dialling his friend's number.

Taking a step back, I observe him. The boy, he's wearing a black jacket but what makes him stand out is his glasses. He looks smart- he doesn't look like a thief or a scammer.

"Thank you.." The boy returns the phone to me and bows, "I'm Woo- wait- you don't need my name."

He smiles at me, making my heart skip a beat.

his smile is so contagious

"I have to go now," He bows once more before he runs in the other direction, leaving me confused and alone.

Today has been a weird day, I think to myself as I press the doorbell of my house and the butler opens the door instantly.

"Miss Jung, I've told you so many times to call the driver when you have to go somewhere, it's dangerous for young girls..."

Ignoring his usual rant, I walk past the butler, Mr. Jo and walk inside the house.

"Eunbyul," My dad's fiancé calls my name as she closes her book and motions for me to come to her, "How was your day?"

"It was fine," I tell her as she pulls me down, next to her and stroked my hair.

"You can tell me if something bothers you, okay? I may not be your real mother but I'm a mother too. I- I have a son too."

I want to get out and storm to my room but I don't. I stay there, rooted to my seat as tears pool in her eyes and she smiles sadly.

"Your son.." I tell her quietly, "If you're here then why isn't he here?"

"I haven't seen him since a long time," She lets out a sigh, "Not since he and- nevermind, it's nothing."

Dad's fiancé, my stepmom Seok-hee, she never talks about her son. I wonder why.

Why is it that a son doesn't contact his mother? Is it for the same reason my own mother deserted me? Did he stop loving his mother or was it something else?

"I am going to my room." I stand up and fix my shirt, "Please send my dinner to my room."

"Wait-"

I drone out stepmom's voice and climb the stairs quickly, making sure that she doesn't follow me and stop me, making sure that she doesn't pretend to love me.

After all I'm just a star, aren't I?
Too far in the sky that no one can reach me...
I'm a star, aren't I, mom?
Well, stars don't have partners..
guess I have to be alone for my entire life

My girl, Eunbyul, is really something <3

Feel free to tell me how the first chapter was!!